de-multiplexors & analogue dimmers

yeletah

I do a lot of touring work lighting dance companies all over the UK. Because I don't own my own board I'm constantly at the mercy of the venue as to what I can use. I've been considering buying a 300 or similar, but many venues have analogue dimmers so I'm assuming I'd also need a de-multiplexor. With desks I'm fine but my knowledge of de-multiplexors is pretty slim! Would the outputs of a standard de-multiplexor be universally compatible with analogue dimmers or could I possibly need some other kind of extra jumpers/converters. I just want to be sure I'm equipt for any eventuality! Can anyone advise?

You have two issues here: Voltage and Presentation

Voltage normally uses one of two options +10v or -10v. Most dimmers can only use one or other of these. This means that a demux that is switchable to use either is probably preferable.

Presentation can be on any one of a number of conenctors: Din, D-type, 30-pin Socapex etc, so it is probably worth having a number of jumper cables with you (and a soldering iron) as some manufacturers use the same connector with different pin-outs. Ultimately, a quick call to the venue staff should enable you to make up jumpers in advance!

Hope this helps

Dave

I think what your'e looking for is a DMUX. While this will not resolve all your analogue>DMX problems it will certainly catch most. You will prob. need to ensure you get a card with what ever system you buy to ensure you can control both +10v and -10v control systems. There are some differences in pin out on some racks with 8 pin din being the most common. check linky

You could make up some jumper leads to get around this issue and keep them with your control pack.

Depending on how many channels you wish to control will obviously depend on which DMUX you buy.

Alternatively, you could buy a +10V Demux - Most kit you find will be 0 - +10V, and, assuming you know what the business end of a soldering iron is, build yourself one of These for those awkward Strand moments.

Unfortunately you will still have to carry around a selection of converter cables.

Jim

How many of these venues which are still using analogue dimmers don't already have a demux? I can't remember the last time I visited any "serious" venue which had a completely analogue setup. I'm sure there will be some, but not many. (however, I did visit one fairly recently which was on D54...)

(I'm specifically excluding schools and village halls etc here)

There's lots of discussion about demuxes in the archives - have a search - in particular THIS THREAD is useful - it discusses the Botex 72 channel unit, which is apparently identical to the Strand one, but costs 100 pounds...

Does anyone know if it does -10V as well as 10V?

Does anyone know if it does -10V as well as 10V?

not sure about the botex model,but the showtec multi exchange ,which I assume is identical,just re badged, most certainly does negative and positive voltage outputs,were running one with strand tempus dimmers and it works fine. Theres also a voltage selection switch for 10,12 and 15 v output.

List a few venues that you have been to, remember or ask again what they used. Look at the next ten venues that you work at, or ask in advance! List the systems then if that is 20 venues you have a current representative sample.

A long DMX line to a demux with a few different output connectors all done together in a custom box would help. BUT most houses are now DMX. anything in the jumper line may be overkill sooner than you think.

My recommendation would be not to buy a demux at all, but to make sure you always call ahead to the venue as far in advance as possible and ask what interface(s) they have to their dimmers.

The vast majority will be DMX, and for the rare times you bump into analogue or D54 systems you can hire a suitable demux complete with cables - all the big hire companies have a selection of demux and protocol converter boxes that are available for fairly low rates.

The exception to this idea would be if you already know that lots of the venue you regularly visit use some form of analogue, in which case buying one may be worthwhile.

Archived