best place for radio mic

willpower

I recently purchased a load of Sennheiser EW100 series tie clip radio mics, which my am-dram society use. I have had endless problems previously when putting the mics on people using the tie clips, as whenever the characters interact, such as hugging, you get an awful rustle sound of the clothes. There is also the fact that they are further away from the mouth, therefore they are more likely to have feedback. I have taken to mounting them with the wire going over the ear, and the mic attached to the cheek using micropore tape, and again at the back of the neck. Is this the best place to attach the mics? And secondly, what's the best tape (or other) to attach them with, as micropore sticks out a lot - being a very pale white colour. I was told that we could not use normal plasters, as some people are allergic...

I realise that in an ideal situation, we'd be using the (fairly) new see-through boom microphone which go around the head, but unfortunately our budget does not allow for this!

Many thanks!

PS, have searched for similar topics, to no avail!

Hairline mics and earmounted jaw line mics are choices, sometimes DIY from wire and heatshrink, sometimes trade made. ALL personal mics are a running expense, cables fail, connectors fail, mics fill with makeup and sweat. No-one has found a perfect tape, and the colour has to be made-up to flesh colour.

Often the local acoustics change severely as characters approach each other, and feedback can happen because of the proximity of the other person. Also there can be comb effects, two mics picking up each source and the signals interfering. It is a reasonable practise to pull one mic fader down as two mic'd characters close on each other relying on one mic to get both voices.

also, have a look at this thread which discusses a specific variety of head-worn mics, but has lots of good hints and pics.

Then do a search (using the forum search button, not the google one) for "blenderm" - one of the better surgical tapes - this will bring up half a dozen threads discussing tapes and techniques for mounting mics.

Archived