Motorized cable coiler

handyandi

Unless you lay the cables untwisted on the floor before you start isn't this going to create the same type of problems as if you coiled the cable round your hand and elbow. It won't be being twisted as it goes on but if it is twisted before you start can you get the kinks out and work then along to the end of the cable as it coils.

The idea is that you push along all the twists with one hand as it coils. When it gets to the end, I'd expect a violent flick of the connector and all would be sorted. I would definitely like a few, not only because of the time it saves, but because I'd trust one of these to keep cables tidy more than guitarists and drummers. But at the US retail price of $160, plus $25 per 21 clip ties, the price is really prohibitive for me. There is currently no UK distribution (or at least there wasn't three weeks ago), but if you contact Ray (address is on the site), he'll be able to sort out a price for you.

It doesn't coil cables properly though, just rolls them up. Where's the half twist? :off:

Exactly. Then you uncoil it by pulling from the side and twist it up as you go. Not by much though, and probably not a problem.

I've seen a chap keep his cables on a garden hose reel. Just connected them all together as he wound them on. He had relatively short lengths, so if he wanted longer he'd just pull off two (or however many) at a time. I never got round to trying it myself, though it seemed like a reasonable idea. I think I'd keep a few longer cables as well though.

Forget the cable coiler, thoses slap ties look useful!

I used to have flourescent ones to go round my arms when cycling in my youth!

Do we reckon they will actually hold the cable in a coil or will it slip through? At present good old electrical tape or velcro ties do the job for me, but those would be quicker.

Wotcha think?

I always reckoned on one of those tape dispensers they have in shops that puts a loop of tape round the end of the bag (like on a loaf of bread) would be good.

Be interested to see the 'Kaltman Cable Coiler' used for Soca or 125/3Ph...... And as for the cable slaps (isn't that what happens when you whip yourself with the end of a cable anyway) I'd be surprised if they hold the cables tight enough. And would quite liked to be proved wrong.

UGH those slap-ties look like those slap wrist bands that were big late 80's early 90's, if they are anything like that they will be horribly weak and last 5 minuets. Might be proved wrong though.

Wouldnt mind trying some out though

Using that on a soca could be fun :D

Looks like a good piece of kit. I am forever coiling mic cables and making them nice and tiday at school - this could be the answer to my prayers. :D

BTW guys - I am a drummer, and all of my cables are nice and tidy :D :D

As eviljohn says, it doesn't coil them properly - it doesn't put the alternate twists in, so if you have a coil of cable with 10 "loops" in it, when you throw it out you end up with a cable with 10 twists.

It sounds like a Bad Thing.

Archived