Pyrotechnic Waterfall

peter

Hi,

I did suggest the iea of a glitter waterfall from a trough or snowcloth but Peter's response was,

don't think you quite understand what I was after.

so I would conclude that something else is called for.

However, on to the reason for my post. Could somebody describe a 'Kabuki drop' for me please? I'm curious as to whether its just a name I've avoided or a whole new technique :** laughs out loud **:

cheers

Ed

FromStagespecs Online

KABUKI DROP -

Method for dropping a cloth from a flying bar. It consists of a bar which attaches to a standard flying bar, and is able to spin around. The bar has prongs welded to it on which the drop is hung (drop has grommetted holes in the top which hook onto the prongs). Normally these prongs are above horizontal, so the drop stays hung. On cue, the pole is rotated so that the prongs point downwards, and the drop consequently falls.

The term Kabuki drop is now used to describe the act of dropping a cloth (usually a silk or other lightweight fabric) to the floor to reveal something behind it, regardless of the method used. You can get several clever electrical ones these days including:

Kabuki Drop

or it can be done with electrical magnets.

Lincoln:

Alternatively, you could use regular mini gerbs (yes! the 7 sec plug in ones) in hook clamped holders with retaining rings to keep them from falling out.

Vinny Baby

gerbs are not to be fired downwards!!!!!!!

waterfalls are specialy made, and not just an upside down gerb!!!

Anyone care to clarify? I suspect that if the big man says so its probably good advice :** laughs out loud **:

Clarification for Rob

Yes, Vinny baby is correct about waterfalls being a specially made device.

The difference between a Waterfall and a Gerb is a Gerb has a restricting clay choke in the top of it to assisit the build up of pressure required to spray the ignited particles. Waterfalls dispense with this choke and are (almost) the same unit as a Gerb... thus, the ignited particles are able to effectively "drip" from waterfalls as apposed to spray from gerbs.

There are special holders (stainless steel tubes with hook clamps) to house 4oz Waterfalls. Outdoor firework companies tend to thread a steel wire through the base of them where manufacturers have conveniently provided two holes for that very purpose. We (Just FX) have and use 180 of them when providing waterfalls (and/or Gerbs) around Ice Hockey Score boards etc etc.

The question about hanging gerbs upside down runs hot and cold within the industry and also between the UK and the USA. The primary risk is that (some makes) could cough, splutter and worst case, explode. If your venue and show are capable of withstanding what effectively could sound and feel like an involontary maroon going off at an undetermined time during your show or event fine... if not, no one will thank you for wrecking what was going to be a beautiful gentle waterfall. [hums gentle soothing music!]

In 2003, we used over 200 x 4oz Gerbs in a hanging down position and experienced NON exploding! and yes! if one had gone bang it would have been

in an area capable of withstanding both the fallout and the noise. That being in the middle of all the other mayhem of whistles, cheering, singing, chanting, etc etc.

The reason that we mix and match between waterfalls is the drip over spray scenario. You need a lot of waterfall devices if you are covering a wide area but you can achieve a much "denser" area with fewer gerbs.

Now, back to Peters request...

We have the kit to do you hundreds of hanging minigerbs if you want to try one alternatively LunaTech (Pyropak) do a range of special indoor waterfall gerbs in both Gold and Silver available through Le Maitre.

Suggest that you all come and have a play at one of the training courses we do. Details often to be found ABTT, S4T, ASP, RSAMD and occasionally privately now. Not advertising, but if you keep your eye on the Wyllyotts Theatre, Potters Bar, there is one going on there around March 18th - box office for details.

Time for bed said Zebadee - 2:06am !!

Lincoln

Archived