Strand 300

Dantheman

Hi all, mybe you can help me with a small problem. I help at a local theatre which has a Strand 300. The problem is that the wheel on the control board does not work. In the setup page the wheel is turned on. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi all, mybe you can help me with a small problem. I help at a local theatre which has a Strand 300. The problem is that the wheel on the control board does not work. In the setup page the wheel is turned on. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Without physical investigation, no. Best bet would be to get the desk to a Strand dealer/repairer for an assessment.

Whereabouts are you?

Firstly, if you are not confident don't try this... I warned you.

The most common fault I used to see that caused the wheel not to work was a little rubber band to come off or perish and snap. If the desk is stored in the cold al ot, the perish and snap option may be the case. The small black rubber band should go from the axle of the wheel you see on the outside surface of the desk to the actual sensor inside which picks up the movement. The surface comes off the 300 using the four black fixings in the corners of the control part of the desk. Take a quick look and see if the band has come off. If it is snapped you'll need to talk nice to your local Strand rep or your local office stationary store failing that!

Liam

• 1 month later...

Just to bump this thread. My 300 has had this problem twice in the last 18 months. The first time I was able to send it back to Strand. The second time it happened, I decided to take a look inside myself. The symptoms are that the wheel begins to behave erratically, and for a while operates backwards for no apparent reason. Then it fails entirely.

The first thing I'll say is that they're very odd to get inside it. The fastenings are sort of a rawlplug type affair. On my 300, only two actually unscrewed properly. The other two popped open with a little (scary!) force, though.

Inside, it turns out that the wheel you turn is mechanically linked to the encoder with a little black rubber band. What happens is that it snaps and wraps around the top wheel only - there's still some friction between the two wheels in this state, so the wheel operates backwards as observed.

http://bryson.albassamtheatre.com/300%20interior%20close.jpg

In the pic you can see the band and the wheel. I'm still looking for a replacement for mine - JMC's suggestion didn't really work.

One thing to watch out for when disassembling is the cable to the connector as marked is very tight - it's possible to break the connection to the circuit board unless you're careful.

I've seen one replaced with a band from a Lego kit before today, as far as I know it's still going strong a year later! Failing that is there a an old tape deck or something you could cannibalise?

Archived