Promt Desk Clocks

Fleeting

I'd suggest a Wharton 401A clock display with a 402A stopwatch switch control. It's the best thing I can think of but will set you back a bit of cash. If you've got the money, I'd also suggest a 484 MSF (Rugby timecode) reciever to keep it accurate.

http://www.wharton.co.uk

For a cheaper solution, you're probably looking at building / adapting something yourself (we have a cheap LCD clock that recieves Rugby timecode bodged into our desk with some white LEDs backlighting it - the way forward for <£20!).

Thanks for the web link.

The Wharton clock is £185.00 + vat for the smallest and another £60.00 for the stopwatch control panel. As this is a lot of money just to keep a DSM happy I think I will pass.

Anyone else got a suggestion?

Fleeting....

Guest Stuart B

Get an old circular electric wall-mount clock in which the glass front can be loosened. Mount it on the wall and loosen the glass. Now a trick that was shown me by some old boy from the City Varieties: Stick a thin strip of lx tape from the centre of the glass towards the 12, another towards the 3 and whack a little bit on by the 2. The whole lot twists round with the tape on, so that you can immediately "mark out" start and finish times for a 15-minute interval, and beginners' calls. When the interval starts, you simply twiddle the glass round so the first finger is pointing along the minute hand.

It is Wolfit Technology, but it works (how many of us run start times & intervals to the nearest second?) and you'd be amazed at how many people will be knocked out by the idea, when it dawns on them what its for, and credit you with genius. It works for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have answered my own question. I have found a company that does a kit (or ready made if you are not that handy with an soldering iron) Stop watch with pause of the LED variety. The company in question is quasar electronics (www.quasarelectronics.com) kit 3148T2. The cost of the kit is about £15.00 with the stop watch firmware. The only additions you need are 3 switches and a 12 volt power supply.

I hope this of use to other readers.

Fleeting....

Archived