UV Smoke Fluid?

FireFly_209

This may sound crazy, but I was wondering...

Can you get smoke fluid that reacts to ultraviolet light? I was interested because if there was such a thing, it would be really useful as you would then be able to do really interesting effects with it.

If it doesn't exist, would it be possible to somehow create it?

Thanks.

You could probably make it yourself, you just need some fluorescent dye, something similar to whats used in UV bubble fluid, and mix it into your fog fluid.

Slight drawback may be the possibility of the dye staining anything it comes intyo contact with, but if you use a weak concentration you might get away with it..

You could probably make it yourself, you just need some fluorescent dye, something similar to whats used in UV bubble fluid, and mix it into your fog fluid.

Slight drawback may be the possibility of the dye staining anything it comes intyo contact with, but if you use a weak concentration you might get away with it..

Sorry, but NOT a good idea.

It's already been discussed here on the BR about coloured smoke etc, and why it's not good - either for the machines or the stage sets!

Let's face it - if it was a viable and practical option, there would be a vast choice of coloured fluids for smoke machines out there - and there isn't.

QED.

I agree with andyKos it is possible, and can, and has been achived. Though as Ynot is attemting to say, be very wary of where you are pointing the stuff.
No.

What Andykos said was 'probably can do' which is a far cry from 'It can be done'.

...and the major drawback would be adversely affecting peoples health by producing a potentially carcinogenic haze! Before you did this you would have to know exactly what was in the smoke fluid, the UV dye, their interactions, the reaction to being heated to a few hundred degrees and the resultants physiological effects.

In short you would be very foolish to simply mix a load up and hope for the best.

I do seem to remember seeing something along the lines of a UV reactive smoke but was designed from the ground up and wasn't just a case of standard fluid and UV dye. I can't seem to find any sign of it still being commercially available and seem to remember it not being that great even when it was.

With sufficient chemistry you COULD make a UV responsive smoke, you COULD have lots of response colours.

There are two major caveats.

1/ they would stain whatever they touched and you would have uv responsive stage, scenery, band kit and costume. (Which you would have to check for in UV light - wouldn't show in daylight)

2/ You and you alone would have the product liability responsibility. You cannot predict every possible reaction over time and temperature, the chemical and bio stability of all products, under all possible user conditions.

Overall a nice idea but I with a degree in chemistry and years of experience would not dream of putting people in a chemical fog like that. Even if each ingredient was pharmaceutically approved the mixture still may not be.

One workplace of mine use to have liquid nitrogen delivered by tanker weekly and we used to get complaints of chemical polution just because the cold transfer pipe caused a dry ice like fog.

Please don't do it without competent professional advice and product liability insurance.

Think asbestos --best thermal insulator to very high temperatures ---- until the health links were identified,

A bit like fluorescent bubbles , these things generally don`t work very well. Relies on the dye absorbing the UV and re-emitting a colour with longer wavelength but the conversion efficiency is not very good.

Dont have much density in a bubble or in vapour, even with fluro paints more than one coat is usually required, bubble thickness or vapour droplet size is like very watered down paint.

Things like these have been `coming soon` for years http://www.zubbles.com/index.asp

Archived