Laser measuring tool

richard

Hello

Does anyone know what a good laser measurer is, there are a few around but they are all rather costly so it would be good to hear if anyone has any experience of a particular model..

I am after one which can measure at least 150 - 200m..

Any ideas of types and suppliers would be great.

Thanks

Richard

I've got a Bosch DLE150 which measures up to 150m although I've never needed to measure up to that distance. Normally used it when doing site visits for our touring shows and been very helpful in finding out that things won't fit! Very easy to use, and accurate to 2-3mm apparently. On the down side it does go through batteries quite quickly and haven't tried measuring anything over 50m.

Hi Richard,

Although I don't own any myself (Mainly due to cost!) I've used various models a lot, I would recommend a Leica or a Bosch (Both the 100m + Models, the bosch that I've used is the one referenced above, think the Leica was the A5). Never had any problems using either make and very easy to use, even the more complex features. Also (from what I can tell) very accurate, and both quote accuracy to within +/-2mm (If I remember correctly the Leica is a tad more accurate).

Also there is a distinction to be drawn between Laser measurer's and Ultrasonic Laser measurer's, basically stear clear of the ultrasonic one's as they tend to be shorter distances that they can handle and very very inacurate!

Hope this helps

Dan

PS Did hear a while ago that Leica rebrand as Stanley (as in the knifes!), remember looking at the stanley one and it was quite a bit cheaper than the leica, so not sure as to how true this was!

The Leica Disto is the industry standard really. Here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/products/prods2/rangfind/a5.htm

http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/products/prods2/rangfind/a3.htm

If 100m is enough range for you, you can save yourself a few bob - the (100m) A3 is smaller lighter and cheaper than the (200m) A5.. Whatever meter you go for you're likely to need a target to get that 200m range, btw.

I can't vouch for either meter personally, mine is a bit older. 'Expensive' is a relative concept too - my first Disto was twice the price of these, and lower specced (and, upsettingly, it died shortly after the warranty expired). Its the same with plumb lasers, its only a few years since a basic Levelite would set you back over 500quid, now you can get a PLS3 for about a third that.

I own a Leica Disto & have "played" with a Hilti & must admit I preffered the Hilti. Very handy, don't know what I would have done not having it. The Leica has lasted several years going through the usual amount of batteries. I do feel the Hilti one is smaller / compact so better to have on your belt. It also seemed quicker. Seano is right about the need for targets at 100m+. Trying to use it in daylight can be a pain as well. Neither read well on black either though that's the nature of the beast unfortunately. I am fairly sure that when my Leica dies I'll replace it with the Hilti one as long as there is no huge change in technology.

Russ

I've got a Leica which is very good inside, not so great in sunlight. I saw a binocular version which is much better for outdoor use the other day - think it was a Leica as well.

I've got a Leica which is very good inside, not so great in sunlight. I saw a binocular version which is much better for outdoor use the other day - think it was a Leica as well.

The binocular version would be called a 'rangefinder' rather than a laser meter. They're a slightly different product, the cheaper ones are accurate to within a meter or so rather than a few millimeters, they have a much greater range and are much easier to use in daylight and/or over long distances. Prices are similar to Disto prices, entry level is a couple of hundred quid, going up towards a thousand at the top end.

Richard doesn't say what he wants it for. A rangefinder would be a better bet for setting (sound) delay times over a large outdoor area maybe. Over distances approaching 200m a rangefinder would certainly be easier to use, if the accuracy (to within a few feet rather than a few millimeters) is good enough. Leica do make them, but don't dominate the market in that area the way the Disto does in its own niche. They're used by golfers and in shooting/stalking.

Sean

x

I use the leica disto on a regular basis and have found it very good. we have the older A3 model (like the current one but bigger) and it has proved to be very accurate and very reliable. It is also useful for measuring short distances (50cms - several meters) which makes it a very versatile piece of kit. Highly recommended.

Hello

Thanks for all the replies - very useful. I am after something for using on site visits for jobs, so it does need to be pretty accurate. The leica stuff seems to be good so may well get work to go that way..

Thanks

Richard

Archived