Beta Pack 2

Ynot

The Zero Beta Pack 2's - as far as I recall, were all fitted with DMX in/out.... weren't they???

I've just had to request a release from an Ebay 'win' because I suddenly realised that they weren't DMX, and analogue racks aren't much good to me....

Looking at the photo of the pack, it certainly looks like the '2', and not a ver 1, but close inspection reveals no 5-pin XLR's, and indeed in the text it does say 'not DMX'...!

That'll teach me not to read the text fully! I only came across these at the last so I bid quickly, thinking I'd got a bargain!

;)

We have a Beta Pack 2 with no DMX. I ended up taking the wrong one out to a show, sure the desk we were using could take analogue but I had forgotten the cable. The DMX is plated off so on ours at least I assume you can put DMX on if you want.

We have Betapack 2's and use them for DMX
Not quite what I was asking...

I'm just curious to see whether early versions of the '2' did NOT have DMX, because I believed (maybe wrongly) that they all DID.

As my memory goes, the DMX512 input was (or maybe originally was) an option, which could be factory fitted, or you could buy the DMX512 kit and install it yourself. The standard models had 2x15A sockets per channel, the plus models had 1x15A sockets, but gave you an integrated single preset desk.

I was lead to believe it was the Betapack 2 "plus" range that came fitted with DMX as standard. Normal betapack 2's did not come with DMX.
Looking at the Zero website, the Betapack 2 Plus had a single socket per channel and faders (like the Act 6's originally did from Strand), whereas the normal Betapack 2 had twin 15A sockets.

However, reading BOTH spec sheets the words DMX 512 (where fitted) are common when referring to the control. ;)

Looks like I was caught out there - trying to get the seller to allow my bid to be ignored and go down to the last highest bidder (a drop of only a fiver) but he's (understandably) wanting to push fit as a done deal....

Ho hum - let's see where this goes, I suppose.

I always thought they came with the holes cut and if it didn't come DMX enabled, you could buy the card to add to it. Not sure how much these are, but if the guy is reluctant to go back on the sale it's an option for you!

I know the school one we had wasn't DMX. Also seen one that had a single 15A per channel, but with trip switches instead of fuses.

It may well be worth asking about a card, although I know they aren't cheap.

Zero88 have never let me down yet for spares, and there are a hell of a lot of Betapack 2's out there in schools that will need spares for years. you will probably find that the card is the same for the Betapack 3 anyway. Most manufacturers hold some spares for several years after the last product is sold. No doubt Keith will be along soon to confirm...

Archived