NJD Spectre

Darkness

I'm just curious if anyone has every used the NJD Spectre .... they seem like a good choice, just wondering peoples views on them
For?

Disco?

Theatre?

Rock gigs?

Ballroom dancing?

Some clue may help!

Well work is a school which is mainly theatre but some disco type of effects, at the moment they are doing a fashion show and there is no money for and more movers and no space to hang any more fresnels so colour is limited but I also help our at a local amateur variety group which do variety shows which tends to be more dance with a bit of theatre.

Well work is a school which is mainly theatre but some disco type of effects, at the moment they are doing a fashion show and there is no money for and more movers and no space to hang any more fresnels so colour is limited but I also help our at a local amateur variety group which do variety shows which tends to be more dance with a bit of theatre.
In that case, I'd say that NJD are far from a theatre-based type of fixture, and are more suited in general to disco work.

It's often easier to get theatre kit to work for discos than it is the other way around.

If you click the "search" button at the top of the page (not the Google one, the one above it), select the "Lighting" forum, put "spectre" into the search box and click the magic go button, you'll find at least a dozen threads discussing various aspects of this product.

oh, ok

so although they look a bit like a large fresnel that can change colour without gels they dont really work that way then.

are led lights tehe same, I really want somthing that isnt too expensive and allows me to change colours although I imagine for theatre lighting generic lanterns are the best thing to use

Sorry bruce, totally forgot about that

"An amazing new concept in stage lighting".. Har..

They mean having 3 seperate sources with no lens, thus making your barn doors entirely useless?

I was thinking of using them for a general stage wash not to fill a stage with them

Hi,

The NJD Spectre is an RGB colour mixer with 3 separate relatively expensive 500w halogen lamps. The unit pulls about 6.5amps when all three lamps are at 100% output, i.e. when trying to make white light.

If memory serves me correctly the spectre uses 7 DMX channels although this can be dropped to a 3 DMX channel mode C1 Dimmer C2 Colour C3 Saturation.

I had a whole load of them running in 3 channel mode and were fine for Armature dramatics and disco work, anything more serious I would probably use a better manufacturer as the Spectre's I had seemed to suffer from poor build quality especially on the DMX circuitry. If found the spectre could not produce a proper white light, always had a shade of pink to it even with the saturation at 100%.

On the plus side nice and bright and come with a lamp power switch which allows you to lower the power output of the lamp thus prolonging the lamp life. also the spectre has some thermal management so the fan only comes on when the temperature in the unit gets above a certain temperature. The fan is a large and does not spin particularly fast although it has a good air flow, the other big benefit of this the fan noise is reduced.

NJD were a good manufacturer before the company was bought be Electrovision, since then build quality in my opinion has suffered as has the quality and speed of servicing duff fixtures.

If found the spectre could not produce a proper white light, always had a shade of pink to it even with the saturation at 100%.
I think you mean 0% Saturation, as 100% is meant to be "Totally coloured"

We have have 6 of the spectres as a hire stock and send them out on simple bandlighting to wash the stage, they do that ok when working!!

We have had lots of problems with theu nits randomly flashing when running on the njd controller, we did ut this down to not liking being run off generators, also on a couple of the units the dichroic colour glass has started to flake.

Not built to withstand being moved!!

Futurelight Have just brought a new colour changer out using the same HPL575 lamp, which is very well priced but has a colour wheel rather than additive mixing.

In my opinion the Spectre is utter pants, again lots of build quality issues, and the 6.5amp pull on full power is a little heavy!

They dont mix colours properly and the barn doors are usless, you end up with far to much fringe and fallout, they are suited for discos and cheap solo acts and bands.

I personaly use the colourmix 250AT from Robe, which is a cracking fixture for all types of situation.

Ive heard scrollers can be rather noisy although it may be a good option as they are reasonably cheap and from what ive been reading the spectres seem like an even worse choice.

I dont realy want a somthing with a colour wheel as you dont get a large choice of colours from them and the colourmix 250AT is far too expensive

Archived