School Shows

HurricaneMatt

Just had another check of the le maitre data sheet for a stage gerb (all data sheets are pretty much the same):

http://www.lemaitreltd.com/prostage2/docs/...8oz%20Gerbs.pdf

The recommendation by looks of things is to submerge for 48hours regardless of the situation.

I still havn't had a failure to fire that wasn't our fault ie wiring error and on the whole it all seems fairly reliable.

Just had another check of the le maitre data sheet for a stage gerb (all data sheets are pretty much the same):

The recommendation by looks of things is to submerge for 48hours regardless of the situation.

OK - I'm going to take a step backwards and accept that the data sheet does indeed speak of submersion. However, my take on this is that this is for a failed firing (hence "pierce the paper membrane") and not for a spent effect, which is what Colin originally said

After denotation we remove the pods and place them in water for a day or so

However, I'd be interested to hear how many of us actually would submerse a failed pyro cartridge..... I suspect very few!

That may go against the data sheet's recommendations, but practically I suspect it falls to whether or not experience shows it's necessary.....

Just as an aside, could we all be agreed that 4oz and 8oz gerbs are not "stage pyro" for the purposes of most of the people in here... To echo a couple of previous posters, the effect is far too large and there is a huge amount of smoke.

About the submersion thing, not pyro's but after a firework display we too did this as per instruction, left them in a water trough overnight... next day the supposedly "decomposed fireworks" were thrown on the still smouldering Bonfire to dispose of, about 10 minutes later a nice firework display aroused from the bonfire and sent clean up teams running, quite amusing.... but proves that water isn't necisarily garenteed to make them safe.

Just as an aside, could we all be agreed that 4oz and 8oz gerbs are not "stage pyro" for the purposes of most of the people in here... To echo a couple of previous posters, the effect is far too large and there is a huge amount of smoke.
This is actually a very good point.

Whilst still a stage effect, the Le Maitre web page says

4oz and 8oz Gerbs are the largest of the Stage Gerbs in the ProStage II range.

The plume of sparks is wider than that of normal gerbs, producing more of a Christmas Tree shape.

This means that there will be hot fallout associated with these effects and they are recommended for use in large venues only.

It would perhaps be best to look at the smaller Prostage gerbs or the Pyroflash mini-gerbs.

I would echo, however, something I think has already been mentioned, which is the fact that gerbs STINK! :welcome:

I would echo, however, something I think has already been mentioned, which is the fact that gerbs STINK! :welcome:

But if you think they stink in use when submerged they actaully FOUL. So when following the correct advice andd submerging them, remember to do it somewhere a long way from civilisation. (or at least a room you don't propose going in any time soon).

regarding disposal.

As a professional company misfires, by which I mean a unit on which the ignition device has fired but the unit has failed, (as against no - fires, failed system, failed igniter), would be either 1. soaked for 1 - 2 weeks then broken up to ensure the compound was fully soaked, then buried. 2. burnt off at a licenced disposal premises with the appropriate facilities.

No -fires would be checked and if safe used at a future time.

having said that, identifying the failure reason may not be so simple so if in doubt resort to plan 1. or 2.

Also suppliers will sometimes take back misfires and no-fires to check their quality control.

regarding throwing unspent fireworks on bonfires, not reccomended, common sense tells you if it will dry out enough for the cardboard tubes etc to burn then the compounds will also dry out, if they are wet in the first place.

firework and pyro tubes are quite dense and it will take a long time for water to soak through to the compound fully.

Having said that , if you've got enough space, which is A LOT, then it is grreat fun, fully risk assessed of course!

I once fired some wells flash pots ,with no waterproofing except a bit of foil over the top, after 4 hours of torrential rain with them sitting in 2-3mm of water, there was nothing else we could do with them at the time as we could not get to them, and they fired perfectly.

Archived