One, Two......

ChrisD

Why do noise boys say "Check, one two"? I know the purpose of saying "Check" or something like that, and I heard one noise boy doing "Seven Eleven" because of the sibilance of the "S"s.

Anyone know of the origin of "Check, one two" and how it became so popular and well known? Even people outside of the industry can be seen picking up microphones (be they plugged in or not) and saying "Check, one two" into them.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's a stupid question I've never asked! Can't help myself...

Moderation: moved from Lighting

It's been covered before - but the idea is to use something that provides audio that can be useful to the op when setting gains and eq. So, the 'ch' sound, the 't' sound, the 'k' sound - all provide a HF heavy and impulse sound. 'Testing' was an older word used as it contained the troublesome 'sss' sound too. I thisnk that over the years, many people didn't really understand the content issues - you sometimes find old BBC types jangling a set of keys which is a really nasty HF thing to use as a test. Piezo horns handle this one really badly!

Like most things, people copy, without realising the origins. A bit like amateur vocalists who misinterpret mic technique as stylistic waving of a handheld mic. When done by experts such as Shirley Bassey and others with strong voices it is an artform in itself, but done by an amateur interested in the 'look' it is a great way of making the sound ops life hell!

Exactly as Paul says, but to point out that the "t" at the beginning of "two" is particularly useful as it's HF heavy, which explains why people use that word more than any of the others (e.g. "two, one two" is heard a lot).

Paul is also right about people trying to look like Shirley Bassey or Mariah Carey by moving the mic away from their mouths on certain notes. This only works if the singer has an exceptionally powerful voice and knows exactly when that power needs curbing. If neither of these are the case the singer must be told to leave the mic in the same place all the time and let the Compressor do the work.

I better say this before somebody else does:

"Because if I get to three people expect me to lift something."

Seriously, paulears and JSB have summed it up well. As for non-pros doing the same thing, the technical explanation still applies. The "k" and "t" sounds are much easier for the person to hear back when they're talking.

Bob

The use of 'plosive' (I think that's the right word) consonants like 'k' and 't' is also good for testing the popshield of the mic in question.

I've always thought that Klingon would be a much better language to do sound checks in - all those guttural consonants and plosive sounds...

("One, two" in Klingon is "wa', cha' " in case you're wondering) Universal Translator. :)

StevieR, I think I've got your coat...

There are only 10 types of digital signal and you mentioned both of them!

Anyway, back on topic...

:) (slightly)

there are 10 types of people in the world...

Those that understand binary and those with friends. (Weren't expecting that eh? :P )

Moderation: moved from Lighting

Can I see another move coming up????

10 types of people heh? Just like there are two types of people in a band:

1. Those that understand music.

2. Drummers

Anybody got a coat I can borrow, it's raining out there?

Jim

When I am ever doing pa ect I hate mic checking my boss will stand at the desk and tell me to check the mics, I feel like a right d**k doing it ** laughs out loud **...even worse if there are other people around...

There's no reason to feel embarrassed...checking mics is a normal part of the job.

If I want more than just a quick "yes it's there" I normally either ask the person on stage to count to 100...or give them whatever book I have in my bag and ask them to start reading.

Bob

When I am ever doing pa ect I hate mic checking my boss will stand at the desk and tell me to check the mics, I feel like a right d**k doing it ** laughs out loud **...even worse if there are other people around...

When I was doing this once... I started testing... next thing I heard was Lx over the radio sugesting I now sing to chek the lectern mics <_< I kindly refused.... twas funny though 'cos I think he then started singing... and the public who were passing through the hall (access from door to cafe) all started laughing.

ok :off: but just thought I'd add to the previous point

** laughs out loud **...I would of cracked up if I was walking past. When my boss tests the radio mics sometimes he hides behind the racks and says 1...2...check ect he gets to hide <_< but makes me stand on stage and do it ** laughs out loud **, but he makes out hes changing settings ect...Bo**ocks ** laughs out loud **

When my boss tests the radio mics sometimes he hides behind the racks and says 1...2...check etc

Does this not defeat part of the point of testing them?, surely they won't be used behind the racks during a performance.

Archived