Custom Gobos

Trundle

Hi all, Need a Gobo made up for a Stairville MH-150 for a pantomime, this being cinderella. I know alot of you say dont use movers, but this is only one and has all ready been programmed. The rest of the lights are a mixture of PAR's and Profiles. The Gobo is needed to project a clock up above the stage for when Cinderella discovers that she is late. so, naturally the clock has o display 12 AM. It dosnt need to do anything fancy or be in any particular colour, just in white. Does anyone know where I can get one of these made up and for how much ?

Any details you need, ask.

Many Thanks

Thats going to be a price though!
Certainly will, with a lead time as well.

Another fly in the ointment of course is that I seriously doubt that a budget mover like a Stairville will have indexing on the gobo wheels, and as such you will NOT be able to guarantee that the gobo rotation comes up in the same place each time - that is assuming these have rotating gobos. If they're fixed, then that's another matter...

Hi all, Need a Gobo made up for a Stairville MH-150 for a pantomime, this being cinderella.

To be honest it's going to cost quite a bit for a custom, metal custom are around £30-75 depending on lead time glass is more expensive. One alternative however is that DHA/Rosco do a stock clock with hands however it's actually made up of 3 gobos so you can adjust the position of the hour and minute hand, so you would need three fixtures to project it. Having said that you could get away with two as you only want midnight so you wouldn't need a minute hand.

I usually use DHA, have used Rosco, (not tried the other sites).

FYI DHA are now owned by Rosco if you weren't already aware.

The panto is in January. I know the mover is a budget Mover but it does have indexable and rotating gobos. Cant use profile as its the moving aspect of it that is required, alas havent got the budget to Hire an expensive one.

I must say I'm surprised that the gobos are indexable, but I'm bemused as to why the clock face needs to move....

Can you indulge me, and satisfy my curiosity - tell us why?

FYI DHA are now owned by Rosco is you weren't already aware.
Must admit that had passed me by...! :stagecrew:

I have only used DHA once since Rosco took them over.I used to phone or email DHA and at a push up to a few years ago, visit them in Waterloo Road. Whatever happened I talked to someone who knew about gobos and could tell me exactly when I would receive the goods, even if not in stock. I had an order a while ago so I called the Rosco number I got at PLASA, only to be told without an account I would have to go through a middle man. I then called that London company and low and behold not all the gobos were in stock but of course it would rely on Rosco getting the extra bits to the dealer to be sent on to me. The system did not work for me,ven though sadi dealer tried their hardest. There is every chance I will now try the other gobo companies.

As an aside there was a discount for ABTT/ALD members. I am not sure if that now works. Forgot to ask/demand! :stagecrew:

Could be a stupid question, but is the clock required to move, or is it just the hands of the clock, (do the hand need to move either for that matter?)

DHA used to do a multi Gobo unit that held the three gobos, the clock face, hour and minute hands, all from the one profile. the unit had a built in clock that moved the hands at the correct speed for accurate time keeping, but as far as I remeber you could also set the 'time' manually via two channels of DMX

of course you needed the gobo set that projected a white 'face' with black hands.

No, The Gobos dont need to roate I just thougfht someone asked if the Head had roataing Gobos or not ! it does but are not needed for this.
You've still not slaked my curiosity, Tom - why/how does the clock need to move - ie therefore necessitate the moving head? It does seem an indulgence, to be honest, and one that may cost more than necessary. After all, even if the school has no spare profiles, hiring one or two will be much cheaper than renting any mover. And you can then simply use a stock clock gobo or two from any of the suppliers listed above...

Archived