Writing a CV

rmarchand

Well I actually studied economics whilst at uni, and spent my spare time working in a couple of gig and theatrical venues in and around Leicester, doing a bit of freelancing when it came my way. As such, all CV work I've ever done has been aimed at applications for jobs in finance. Needless to say this doesn't interest me, and I've ended up working as a technical co-ordinator.

My problem is that to land this job, they specifically didn't want CV's, there was a standardised form to fill in. Now I'm looking to move on and I'm looking for some advice on what to include in a CV aimed at technical production for the live music industry, also some guidance on the layout/order of things would be fantastic.

Many thanks for any help you can send my way!

In your Cv include the knowledge and experience you have. This may include electrics, Carpentry etc. As techinical theatre is also about what expeirence you have and what you can do if their is a problem.

You have mentioned that you have worked in a couple of gig and theatrical venues in and around Leicester put that in say what roles you took and if their was any last minute repair in which you done. Get a refrence or two from people you have worked for.

As for the layout I suggest you start with your details, then say abit about yourself, then go on to education/experience this is where you should say everything you have done in the industry and any grades you may have. Include your hobbies as a final as they will want to know what sort of person you are.

After you have done this write a covering letter as it will always back up the cv and give a good impression.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Not too long, very clearly laid out, uncluttered, factual. If multipage, then all critical info on the first page.

When writing it, the thing you must focus on most is "how will the recipient read this?". Remember, it may be in a pile of 100 - so on a "first pass" it must present the essentials at first glance.

And don't use pink paper.

That's generic advice, not aimed at any particular industry - the principles are largely the same.

In your Cv include the knowledge and experience you have. <snip>
All good advice.

What I look for in a CV, though, is brevity - don't make things long winded.

Remember that this is perhaps the first thing the prospective employers will look at, maybe after the application form.

They may have dozens to sift through and many won't make the paper sort.

Your CV should be factual (NEVER lie on a CV!) and detailed only to the point of showing your experience and qualifications.

What you need to prepare for at the interview (should you get one) is to be able to quickly and easily flesh out the bones on what you've quoted in writing.

eg "I have worked at in performance venues in and around Leicester, including ABC and XYZ. This work was mainly in the lighting/sound/rigging departments and I received valuable insights into the production/design environment"

That small stament will then lead the interviewer to ask specific questions about exactly what you did there, what sort of events you handled, what responsibilities you had... And you need to have those answers ready.

I've seen too many people try to cram as much info into a CV as they can, so it reads more like a book than an application! Too much info on paper can leave the employers nowehere to go with questions, and that's not what they need - they need to be able to see how you can interpret their needs and how you handle the queries - that can confirm you have the knowledge in you rather than have copied it from a book, etc.

Also don't put too much technical detail into a CV - if you have experience with moving lamps, say so - don't list that you've used Mac 250, 250+, Entour, 250 wash, 250 Krypton, etc etc etc - if they want to know, they'll ask.

As for the layout I suggest you start with your details, then say abit about yourself, then go on to education/experience

Personally I have a phobia of personal statements (I work well on my own and as part of a team.....etc. etc.) put those things in you covering letter if you must but your CV should all be factual.

This is an example of my CV, it may give you some ideas what employers are after these days.

For example since the law has changed on "age" you no longer need to have it on your CV and employers are not ment to ask you. Also some employers (not all) dont need to know the dates of when you worked they just want to know what you can DO! not when you did it ...

I have edited some personal information out.

NAME Mobile

Adress Phone

PERSONAL PROFILE

An adaptable, efficient and versatile multi-skilled Technician dedicated to producing high quality work. Self-motivated, safety conscious and responsible with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Effectively responds to the challenge of working independently or as an enthusiastic and active part of a team. Flexible and reliable with a friendly outgoing personality.

KEY SKILLS

· Experience in imaginative set design and construction

· Resourceful and creative problem solving skills

· Enthusiastic and practical lighting designer and rigger

· Constantly aware of and adheres to Health and Safety procedures

· Practical experience in maintaining Electro mechanical devices

· Versatile and experienced in varied Theatre areas, LX, Sound, SM & Props.

EMPLOYMENT DETAILS

Full time work in other Industries, when not working in stage and screen.

Follow spot Operator/Stage Crew/ASM/DSM/ London Westend Theatres

· Efficiently and accurately followspoted/crewed and ASM at many top London Theatres

· Assisted with Electrics department maintenance and worked on many Get-In/Get-Outs

· Worked as a Rigger, Carpenter, Runner and many varied roles

Freelance Prop Constructor Pearson Television

‘Tour of Duty’ The Bill

· Constructed accurately, to given specifications "Elevator control lights" with out of shot controls also “battery powered breathalyser” and other minor props still used in this TV show.

Stage Manager/Lighting Designer Peter Jackman Theatre

‘An Egyptian Mythology’

· Stage managed and wrote an original script for this modern production

· Devised, developed and constructed the set and props, designed and rigged the lighting.

· Acted as ASM during the run of the show

Assistant Stage Manager Oldham Coliseum

‘Simple Outrages’ and ‘Pink for a boy’

· Executed duties of ASM and Dresser, assisted in set design and construction

· Responsible for assistant lighting design and prop construction

Runner ITV

· ‘Better Homes With Carol Vorderman’

Enthusiastically carried out all of a runner’s duties, including building work.

Senior Technician London

Alien War / Quasar Laser, London Trocadero

· Reliably carried out daily and weekly Health and Safety checks on all apparatus

· Maintained and repaired all special effects hardware, electronic equipment

· Trained staff and Maintained IT systems for running special effects equipment

· Constructed props, costumes, armour, weapons, sets, rigged lighting and sound equipment

· Used smoke machines, with sound and lighting to enhance the feel inside this attraction

Special Effects Crew Shepperton Studios

‘Lost in Space’ and ‘Avengers’

· Resourcefully worked in the ‘Creative Set Construction Team’ creating scenic art and model making on these major Film productions

Clapper Loader / Runner BBC Ealing Studios

‘Nuts’

· Clapper Loader using both dry and digital slates

· Assisted with set construction and helped actively with runner duties

EDUCATION

· Degree in Theatre Design

· NVQ level 2 Computers and Electronics

· 5 GCSE

It is not that great ! but has got me alot of interviews and work, I also have another CV with Dull office work and retail work, bar work ect.

Tailor it for the job your going to but dont over state what you can do.

Hope it helps

DomB

• 3 months later...
This might sound stupid but I am trying to put together a CV of all the work I have done.

How do I set it out and what do I include in it?

Not stupid, though possibly incorrect use of terminology.

A CV is something you create which includes a LOT more info than just jobs you've done - that covers previous employment, qualifications and a whole lot of other stuff. This is used when applying for jobs, and should be a fluid document which changes with the different jobs applied for.

What I think you MAY be describing is a Portfolio - which is examples of your work and details of the shows involved. This should be something you can take along to a job interview as a demonstration of your talent/skills etc, and again should be fluid, to represent what the interviewers may wish to see.

TD

There are more than one of way to put a CV together depending on who its for and what you have done. This has been discussed before so a quick search will give you a very good idea.

Hello all,

This might sound stupid but I am trying to put together a CV of all the work I have done.

How do I set it out and what do I include in it?

Many Thanks

P.S sorry if it doesn't make sense.

Hi,

what you said also strikes my curiosity. I have been putting together my CV for a few weeks now and was wondering, what do you guys include in yours?

What parts do you think are the most important in this industry?

If you are looking to hire someone whats the most important factor for you?

Archived