Best medium for pc>proj over long distance?

JDLX

Basically I need to run a feed from a PC in a foh position to a projector rear of the stage (30-40m). I assume VGA cable will not work over that distance. I was considering a vga to phono converter and running a long stretch of that, but I've heard some concerns about the signal quality when using such a convertion.

My basic idea for the setup was to have a PC running the Video, paired with an old 486 or Pentium producing a black screen through a KVM Switch. This would allow me to switch to the black screen while I scan to the next scene or make changes on the video pc.

Could anyone advise me (a relative newbie to AV) what the best solution to this would be (for the setup in general not just the cabling)? Bearing in mind that the show will be very low budget.

Cheers,

Joe

hi, I've run quite good quality 30- 40m VGA leads with projectors in the past with shows on tour and never had any bother, whether its the correct thing to do or not I'm sure I'll be admonished shortly for my ignorance :D

Regards

Hi,

I've used KVM extenders before for other purposes in IT based installations, for example in Radio studios etc where the noisy computers are in an apparatus room. Afraid haven't specifically used these for projectors but I can't see why there would be a problem.

Have a look at these from Avocent - Avocent KVM extenders

They basically put VGA down a Cat5/6 cable. There are many flavours/manufactueres and prices so you'd have to look around but something along these lines should do what you want.

Cheers

Fletch

Get a decent quality VGA cable and it should be OK. We usually use the VDC blue ones, which are around 100 pounds for a 50m cable. I see that CPC (just happen to have a catalogue handy - other suppliers are available - do 40m cables for 22 pounds - I have never used these before, but shorter ones from the same range seem OK, although not in the same league as the VDC ones.

I'm not sure, but I believe that if you use a KVM switcher to create a blank screen, then the projector will see that it has no input on VGA and go to it's standby screen (Sanyo projectors have a clock count down but I don't know what others are like).

Chris

I have been involved in several installs where very long runs to the projector have been necessary. Running 50+ metres on Van Damme Plasma grade 5 way mini video multi-core has given no visible degradation in the signal - important when the screen is over 5 metres wide! This cable has to be terminated, usually onto BNC's, as it does not come ready made.

I have also used some of the CPC long SVGA cables on a 40 metre run, with a perfectly satisfactory picture at the end of the job.

When you go too far, the first fault you will see is 'smudging'

Sharp vertical edges will smear out slightly - this may or may not matter depending on your source footage.

The higher the resolution, the worse it gets.

When you eventually go much too far the image loses sync and disintegrates.

I've gone over 70m with good quality standard VGA cable, and the smudging was visible but acceptable for our purpose.

As everyone else has said, over the distances you're thinking of, decent quality VGA cable should be fine.

RE blanking of the projector while scanning for content - look for projectors with serial control. I wrote a little app which we use to let us talk to our Sanyo XP55 to black or freeze the screen or to display our logo. It also has remote on/off, source selection & display options (zoom/focus/lens shift) which took a couple of hours to write based on info from the sanyo website. Computer then has a serial lead direct to the projector, meaning it doesn't matter we lost the remote control last year.

Another way of setting up so you can run video yet still project black between video is to make up slides with the video in powerpoint, that way you can have black slides between video clips, works well tho takes a bit of organisation. Means you can save on buying/renting expensive bits of video kit. It will mean ripping your video from your dvd and changing the medium tho.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn't aware that any quality of VGA cable could be run over that distance. Last time it was tried in the theatre we got intermittant signal loss. I guess this must of been because of the several joined bits of vga the guy used rather than the length of the feed.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could buy some decent quality VGA cable that would'nt be too expensive?

Archived