Best medium for pc>proj over long distance?

JDLX

Gold plated is completely irrelevant - a private bugbear of mine is gold-plated RCAs.

What matters is the cable - it should be individually screened RGB and of good size and capacitance.

Thin VGA cable is awful stuff - one screen for all conductors, if that.

The thick stuff is usually good.

Gold plated is completely irrelevant - a private bugbear of mine is gold-plated RCAs.

What matters is the cable - it should be individually screened RGB and of good size and capacitance.

Thin VGA cable is awful stuff - one screen for all conductors, if that.

The thick stuff is usually good.

Ah well, the cable looked of high quality overall. They arrived a few days ago and are top notch, triple shielded and quite thick, so hopefully was worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...
Basically I need to run a feed from a PC in a foh position to a projector rear of the stage (30-40m). I assume VGA cable will not work over that distance. I was considering a vga to phono converter and running a long stretch of that, but I've heard some concerns about the signal quality when using such a convertion.

My basic idea for the setup was to have a PC running the Video, paired with an old 486 or Pentium producing a black screen through a KVM Switch. This would allow me to switch to the black screen while I scan to the next scene or make changes on the video pc.

Could anyone advise me (a relative newbie to AV) what the best solution to this would be (for the setup in general not just the cabling)? Bearing in mind that the show will be very low budget.

Cheers,

Joe

ive managed to run cables of 40 mtrs inside a school hall with next to no signal loss if you find you a problem have a look at kramer kit the produce a variety of "Black box" fixes for various applications

One thing I have learnt with VGA cables it that you have to be really carefull with them when coiling/uncoiling, otherwise you can break the cores.

I hired out some 10m VGA cables (with other bits as well) and when they came back, the green signal was broken in one of them, because the customer had done the lead up round his arm/elbow and broken it. These were VDC cables.

Archived