The "Something" button.

Bryson

Sometimes, you know, the noise boys do come up with something useful... :P

A couple of days ago, while trying to find a circuit, I could tell by where it was rigged that it would be somewhere in the fifties. So I said: "it's 50-something."

And this seemed to click with Andy who I was working with. "Why don't they do a something button?" he asked? Well, why don't they?

eg: I'd like to type [50 Something] and have 50 thru 59 selected. Or [100 + Something] that would give me 100 thru 199. And so on. So I could go [50 Something - 52] and get 50, 51, 53...59. I use this kind of expression to "bracket" in and find channels that I'm not sure about.

Is there a function or a macro I can write for Genius Pro (ie: Strand 300) that would do this? I can smell a use for that "user" button.

I want a Something button!

:P

I guess you want a button(or set of buttons) that does predefined functions. I remember that Strand 300 has macro support and has macro buttons located at top P1 - P2.. P14. At the Macros section you can define watch you want to be done when you pushed the button.(ie: 100 thru 199 @ FL) Refer to 300/500 Full Manual which located Strand's website for more.

Btw, I read again, and I have understood it completely wrong.You want somethin like lottery? :P It's really weird but for creating random selections would be great(Not for theatrical use I think).

I guess he wants a button(or set of buttons) that does predefined functions.

I think Bryson is aware of the macro button on the 300 series, as he notes in his post.

However, this is actually a trickier problem... What you want is to be able to do 10 <Macro> or 100 <Macro>, and have the Macro fill in the rest. This is hard because 'the rest' isn't constant (for 10, it should be THRU 19, for 20 it should be THRU 29, and for 100, in the example, THRU 199)

So, lets split it into 2 problems

1) How can you program a macro that says 'THRU the next 10 channels'

2) How can you program a macro that says 'THRU the next 10 channels if the first channel has one trailing 0, THRU the next 100 if there are 2 trailing 0s, etc.)

The answer to 1) is to make a macro that reads

THRU NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT

Anyone got any ideas for 2 - I suspect it can't be expressed as a 500 series macro (as it requires knowledge of what has already been typed), but I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers,

Simon.

Is there a function or a macro I can write for Genius Pro (ie: Strand 300) that would do this? I can smell a use for that "user" button.

Nice as though this would be, I somehow think it would be rather difficult to programme anything of this ilk.There just isn't anything constant in what you're specifying....

Shame

Never mind

EDIT - Should type faster!

The answer to 1) is to make a macro that reads

That wouldn't work, you'd only get the channel you specified and the one ten up from it; you'd have to go THRU NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON for this to work; I don't know if this would work but I'll try it today when I'm at work!

I can certainly agree with Bryson's ideas, I know if I'm on the middle of my first LX bar I'm around the mid 80s but not always the exact number so would be a handy thing to be able to do.

Just tried SimonW's first suggestion which works a treat, I was going to suggest the macro as ON NEXT ON etc but I don't regularly use 300/500 series so obviously I don't know the quickest way of doing it! Anyway, one handy function on the ETC Expression 3 is the ability to put macro wait in so you could insert a half second gap between each @ FL so you could see each lantern coming up in a line so then you'd be able to work exactly what number it is so you could kill the others, but I don't think you can do that on a 500 series?

(In case anyone is interested, the syntax for the ETC would be [+] [Full] [+] [Full] [+] [Full] for as many steps as required or [+] [Full] [mwait-0.5] [+] [Full] [mwait-0.5] etc)

Stu

That wouldn't work, you'd only get the channel you specified and the one ten up from it; you'd have to go THRU NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON NEXT ON for this to work; I don't know if this would work but I'll try it today when I'm at work!

Nah - it does work in the way that Bryson suggested the 'Something' button being used.

10 <SOMETHING>

does 10 THRU 19, so you can do 10 <SOMETHING> ON, or 10 <SOMETHING> - 12 @ 50, etc etc.

S.

Thanks Simon. I now have:

recorded as my USER key, and:

THRU NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT

recorded as the shift-USER key. I decided that 50s were more manageable.

It's not quite what I was after, but is close enough!

The only tedious part is that if you have any kind of "smart" channel formatting turned on (I usually have "channels in show" on) it goes wrong. But I can live with turning it off while we find channels and then turning it back on once I know the numbers.

Archived