**New** Strand Light Palette

strand600X

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The menu system certainly looks to improve the functionality or rather the speed of viewing it. Only really had a quick chat about it at the end of the show and have yet to review the literature but wsa fairly impressed.

The case is certainly quite nice asthetically and it appeared faily straightforward to service in terms of accessing the bits.

Before the show I hadnt realised it was aimed at replacing the 300 though.

The desk has a lot going for it but I'd list the following against it (admittedly just on a quick demo at ABTT - I'll know more after they've brought us one to try):

1) There's a lot of things to look at for just one monitor

2) Especially if you're using MLs, you could spend an awful lot of time holding the mouse rather than those nice reassuring, old-fashioned faders and buttons we all know and love.

3) It's a very light colour which will reflect any light going, so it doesn't really blend in to the background if you wanted to op from the auditorium.

Just some first thoughts.

JSB

I think the new palette (along with the Jands vista which looked a cracking desk) is really the next generation of lighting desks - so is going to be very hard to compare with the old. From my first and very quick look at it, I was thinking the same thing about the mouse and how much more time it might take to do things, but there will be bonuses to this system to!

I think it will be hard to change from the 300/500 style data input in your head - and your natural reaction will be "dont like it" but in 3 years time this way will be the norm and we'll be shocked that we ever used the old way!

I cant wait to have a proper play, but also know its going to take a while to get used to!

Ben

I think if you can use a 300/500 desk and can use a pc then I think you will love these desks

As for the mouse thing I think we need to see what the Palette replacement for the 500 is like surely it will have more "buttons" same as the difference between the 300 and 500

The 500 replacement is due out spring next year I have been led to believe

Baz

:o

The desk has a lot going for it but I'd list the following against it (admittedly just on a quick demo at ABTT - I'll know more after they've brought us one to try):

1) There's a lot of things to look at for just one monitor

2) Especially if you're using MLs, you could spend an awful lot of time holding the mouse rather than those nice reassuring, old-fashioned faders and buttons we all know and love.

3) It's a very light colour which will reflect any light going, so it doesn't really blend in to the background if you wanted to op from the auditorium.

Just some first thoughts.

JSB

Maybe it is reflective so it acts as a head-up display in the control room window?

I am a big fan of the Strand 300/500 series, but couldn't get near the new desk at ABTT to have a play...

Can anyone highlight the main differences and similarities? Was going to try and buy a second hand 300 series for my students at work (university age), but am thinking the new desk might be better. Currently we just use generic lanterns, with occasional scrollers, but I am trying to make a move into newer technologies. I really need to replace my old ETC Express as it is starting to crash on a regular basis.

As someone who trained on Strand (even learnt a few programming tricks from Baz during HCMF years ago!), it makes sense to have a desk I can teach!!

I was looking for desks at Plaza last year and gave the 300 a once over, and thought that the kids would break it in no time. The new one FEELS much stronger; proper buttons and faders that won't self destruct in 5 seconds. The Windozey feel to the screen works for me, but too busy for one monitor. Lots of ways to do things, really solid front panel, really good "get out of fecked desk" scheme. Might give it a proper look next time, but I also liked the look of the Congo, which was priced at a point that left me stunned.

Can anyone highlight the main differences and similarities?

In essence it's a 300 desk, albeit with more ML capability - (they've added colour, focus, beam etc... palettes), but the main difference is the move from GeniusPro running on DOS to PaletteOS running on embedded Linux, with the 'High Resolution Point and Click' GUI.

Strand have aimed it at smaller venues, educational institutes, etc...

More info here.

Just placed an order for one of the Classic Palette 150's so will post a mini review once it turns up (!)

Gavin

Ahah, an early adopter! You're an extremely brave man! Good luck to you! :lock:

Thanks for the link - was very useful.

Certainly like the idea of WYSIWYG installed... and have been waiting for ages for a Strand offline editor that works on something other than Windows 95.

Going to show the info on the Preset Palette to the powers that be, in order to maybe get on in the next budget for September, certainly seems like a good desk for the students to start on Strand with - and looks more indestructible than the 300 series.

Think I will be popping round to my friendly branch of Stage LX to see if they will let me have a play...

• 3 months later...

The Palette series software has changed quite a bit from the version they had at ABTT. The software now runs under WinXP embedded instead of linux. What Genlyte seem to have done is re brand an existing piece of software originally available in the Marquee desks, by Horizon Control. Although it has a similar command line style interface, it is very different to the familiar old 500 series. It does look like an excellent piece of software though and should finally brings Strand up to date with other manufacturers.

You can download the Marquee software from here to get an idea of what the final Strand software will be like.

Archived