Vinyl vs cd

Matt

which do you think should stay or go?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. which do you think should stay or go?

• Vinyl to stay
    • CD to stay

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll never be able to watch Christopher Walken acting in a film again without thinking of him dancing around that hotel lobby ...†† :P

I think ur trying to catch me out there <_<

Not seen the "Weapon Of Choice" video then? It's directed by Spike Jonze, who also did the "Praise You" video, and is equally tongue-in-cheek.

feed %&^£ to the customers just to get rid of the stock...

isnít that called advertising?

I own a fair bit of vinyl from the seventies that I have bought second hand and received from friends etc.

while vinyl is a pain in the ass I think I would miss it more than CDs as, if I didnít have CDs, I would still have mini disks, DAT and many other digital storage mediums but vinyl really does have no substituteÖexcept maybe wax drums

we should be proud of that... same as winning world war 2

now donít even get me started on that one

yes, thanks for the spelling, just fingers dont work <_<

yeah, dont get me started on ww2 either, 5 of my family members faught in it, 2 came thru :P

yeah, you get the purity of digital, I agree with that, you cant beatit, but the classic sound of a VINYL you just cant beat it, almost everyone has heard of it... you ask anyone in the street have they heard of DAT or ne other pro format (just because I know of no other), they'd most likely to say no, ask them about vynl, you'll most certainly get a yes.

yeah, you get the purity of digital, I agree with that, you cant beatit, but the classic sound of a VINYL you just cant beat it, almost everyone has heard of it... you ask anyone in the street have they heard of DAT or ne other pro format (just because I know of no other), they'd most likely to say no, ask them about vynl, you'll most certainly get a yes.

That's silly, you can't compare vinyl LPs with DAT, DCC, etc. Many years ago, vinyl used to be the most popular medium on which music was purchased by consumers on a large scale - not any more, it has now been well and truly blown out of the water by CD, for several very good commercial and technial reasons.

Other digital formats (DAT and so on) never took off as formats for the consumer - they were always pretty much restricted to the professional audio sector. (Apart from DCC, which never took off at all!) Not even MiniDisc made that much of an impression on the home-use market. Was this because the marketing wasn't right? Or was it because CD was already there and there wasn't another format that held enough appeal to shoulder its way into the market for home users?

I think minidisc never really took off because of marketing, the introduction of recent netmd technology I think has boosted it, we use minidisc quite a bit to record a digital copy of the stuff we do... but at the start you could get only a very small collection of pre-rec md's in places like mvc, not anymore... I think it is more aimed at the self recording part.

but I still say vinyl will always have its place!

anyone remember/know of those things before vynl??? ! eg the drum like cartridges, forgotten what they are called, worht a lot now, oooops... we seem to have lots in our loft :> anyone know what they are worht each, has the player also.

yeah is a shame that minis disks never took off. They can be really usefull in so many situations. Maybe if the major record companies had jumped on them earlier and started selling pre recorded ones they would have taken off and overtaken CD's.

Maybe MD's didnt really take off like other mediums due to the lack of standards throughtout the range of devices etc. Done a few shows lately where the different record functions meant that one MD couldnt be played on a top of the range machine, which is all a bit stupid really, but thats the way some companies monopolise I guess.

Guest lightnix
...the drum like cartridges, forgotten what they are called

Their proper name is "wax cylinders". How much they are worth depends (like most old things) on their rarity and condition, or whether they contain recordings by famous artists of the day, like Marie Lloyd.

I have a friend in Holland, whose father is a member of a society that collects such items. If you e-mail me a list of what you have, including the make / model of the player, I'll pass it on to him for a look over.

...part of our good old english heritage and we should be proud of that...

Er... yes. Pardon me, but wasn't the first successful phonograph created by that well-known American, Thomas Alva Edison ? <_<

in that case I retract my statement...

yeah, I'll get up there when I can be bothered, probably never, dont hang on as though I will, I'll probably forget later on anyway.

pocket sized.... backpack sized maybe.... hmmm... we love 8 track for some reason.

I still think vynl is good, though the 6 inch or 7 inch stuff probably was th go at a semi-portable thing maybe.... hmmmm...

£400 to get something of the same quality, bah...

It wouldn't suprise me - my Dad had the same experience with his deck as Lightnix - everyone told him to make a real effort to find a new stylus than buy a new deck due to the fact the one he has is the doggies dangles, and most of the 'modern' ones aren't really worth worrying about. In todays modern electronic world you really do get what you pay for, and for vinyl, it seems to me that you have to pay ALOT now for it to be any good.

It's like CD Walkmans - you can buy a ALBA one for £12 or a Sony one for £90 - which one is going to do the better job?

Stu

Archived