Vinyl vs cd

Matt

which do you think should stay or go?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. which do you think should stay or go?

• Vinyl to stay
    • CD to stay

generally neither! they use the same chips, just that the sony will be a bit more stylish and popular, you just pay for the brand name... I got an old alba personal cd player, had it for 6 years (ironic, I got it for christmas) and its still going strong, its been droped and all that, I have had my sony netmd player, its been back to sony twice this year! only got it last august (02)

edit: ooooo really excited, the most popular topic I have had, and probably will ever have, third page now... :>

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally disagree!

Some of the dirt cheap CD players don't last particularly long in terms of battery life, where as my little Sony goes for ages on a pair of AA batteries. Also I'm pretty sure they have better sound, certainly when you can boost the bass to get rid of the 'tinny' sound.

Obviously the more expensive ones have Skip protection which helps if your out running or walking with it on.

And sometimes the added style is a bonus too <_<

Stu

anyway... I still think vynl will always have its place, agree's about the vynl in theatre, that would be useless, vynl is still hot on the club scene as far as I know, I just think its here to stay...

even on the club scene, over the past 12 months there has been a noticeable swing from vinyl to CD. well over half of the commercial promos are now serviced on CD and even the real upfront tunes mailed by Hyperactive etc. are now regularly appearing on CD. this time last year it was about 70% vinyl / 30% CD, 12 months on that is now more like 70% CD / 30% vinyl

Every DJ loves his/her vinyl 12" doublepacks, but they're somewhat bulky compared to a single CD promo! With most venues now having the new feature-rich Denon & Pioneer CD decks, CD has rightly become the preferred option, cheaper mastering for the record companies, cheaper to mailout and loads lighter to carry out of the club than boxes of 12"s at 3.00am!!

The club scene is still largely Vinyl. It is still the only format in which you can mix properly and easily.

sorry Mac500 but I disagree, which was entirely my point of my previous posting.

the mixing and sampling facilities available on the new generation pro CD players are superior to what can be done on a pair of Technics, and gives the DJ the ability to create very versatile, exciting mixes.

don't get me wrong, I was a vinyl dinosaur for years! just things have now moved on. and as I say most of the promos that drop through the letterbox are now small shiny & silver rather than 12" & black <_<

If you look after your vinyl correctly it will last ages! CD's however scratch if not treated properly and people wonder why the skip!

If you look after your CDs they will also last ages and won't skip.

Conversely, if you don't look after your vinyl it will scratch and skip.

At the end of the day, CDs will always outlast vinyl, because the reproduction mechanism is making no physical contact with the CD, as opposed to dragging a sharp needle around a vinyl groove!

A bit of a no-brainer, me thinks <_<

I agree with tony there about the cd stuff, I have 2 denon cd players, they are very good, but I find hard is to actually remember times for cues, wheres on a record you can visulaise/remember the position of the needle and roughly get it to withing 4 or 5 seconds either side of your cue... though some of the cd players can memorise up to somethign 2000, 3000 cues... I donno quite how that system works though. I am 17, still prefers vynl atm...

a while ago I did quite a bit of work in a local club and found that almost every single dj who had tried mixing from cd preferred it!

I also preferred it as the cd player broke less often than the technics and when they did it was just a case of cleaning crap off the lens

pic removed by ike, 13/01/04

^the ever so lovely cd player

I work at a club in London and every DJ I have worked with uses majority vinyl. The latest generation of decks are far superior to the Technics 1210's which the majority of clubs use. Also straight-arms! Why? It ######s the record up due to the way its cut.

The latest generation of decks are far superior to the Technics 1210's which the majority of clubs use.

The club had a pair of 1210s and a CDN90 in one of the booths and a pair of Numark TTX1s and a CDN90 in the other with a final pair of 1210s as a spare. I'm not a dj so cant realy say one is better than the other but from a maintenance point of view the CDN90 were the clear leader.

pic removed by ike, 13/01/04

At the end of the day, CDs will always outlast vinyl, because the reproduction mechanism is making no physical contact with the CD, as opposed to dragging a sharp needle around a vinyl groove!

Unless they're CD-R, in which case it seems you'll be lucky if they last the decade! - see this article. I've also heard doom laden predictions that CDs themselves have a limited lifespan, but not nearly as bad as CD-R. Although, of course, errors in music CDs are vastly less significant than for data CDs - although that doesn't apply if you're using compressed audio.

as a dj, and having used b oth ttx1's and 1210's, I'd say that the ttx1s were better, I found them less "in your face" and nicoer to look at, but also nice and smooth in my opinion.

and regarding the cd-r crisis, I read it once in a computer magazine...very scary, when you think I have quite a lot of important files backed up onto them... time to go out and buy a 160GB hard drive <_<

Archived