Gobo Projection from the top of a church steeple

Stuart91

Just had a customer come to me with an interesting problem. How come I never get any simple stuff to deal with? :)

What they want to do is place a lamp at the top of their church steeple (approx 25m up) and project, from there, a gobo onto the road below. The gobo will be a fairly simple mono design - probably just a single word.

I'm guessing I'll need an insanely bright profile, with a very narrow beam angle, but does anyone have any recommendations of specific lanterns to go looking for? We will probably be aiming to hire it for 3 weeks or so.

The whole thing will be outdoors (there is flat space on top of the steeple) so we'd either need a weatherproof fixture or will be building some kind of tent around it. So would also be interested in any experience people have of performance of big profiles in cold weather. Will they pop lamps every ten minutes with the wintry temperature, for example?

Not so sure about actually HOW to project on the road I'm just intrigued about it being a road. I'm sure there is some form of regulation about signs on the highway, be it light or paint or what ever. I might be being over cautious but you never know what regulations are about.

I'm sure there is some form of regulation about signs on the highway, be it light or paint or what ever.

Not sure if they've thought about that. It'll be a public road, although I expect if they're not allowed to project onto that they'll find somewhere else to point the thing at... ;)

One humerous suggestion so far is that if it snows, the lamp could be used to melt the gobo into the snow in various places - wonder if that might actually work... :)

I'm sure there is some form of regulation about signs on the highway, be it light or paint or what ever.

It'll be a public road,

In which case it will DEFINITELY be a no-no with the county council!!!

Anything like this pointing at a road is a pretty sure-fire road safety issue!!!

One humerous suggestion so far is that if it snows, the lamp could be used to melt the gobo into the snow in various places - wonder if that might actually work... :)

that of course assumes that we'll GET any snow this winter.....!!

My suggestion would be a Selecon Pacific with the MSR lampbase and a 5.5-13 degree lens tube on it....I'm not entirely sure how it will cope with wintry temperatures, but the long-throw lenses are great - we used 'em to project acetate gobos over about 50 metres and even with the 1k tungsten lampbase in them they were still pretty damn bright.

Second the Selecons, if you need more omph than the standard 1K lamp the the 80V 1200W is brighter, sadly theres no 1200W MSR/MSD option, the discharge lamps only go to 575W. I'd have thought a 1K incandescent and a 575 MSR would be a bit of a toss-up, lumens wise. Not its not, the 575 is 49K lumes, the standard 1K is 25K lumes. So the 575MSD architectural fitting (called the Ardiis) would appear to be the tool of choice. See here. Always nice to recommend a world-beating Kiwi product, though!

As an alternative an old Sil 25 or 30 lens tube with HMI lamphouse (as used to be used for followspots), but unlike the Pacifics the gobo will get f.hot and thus need replacement at intervals. White Light used to hire Sil followspots and may still have them.

Alternatively, get a load of ACLs and aim them in the pattern required!

Funny, I too was going to recommend a Selecon with 5 deg lens tube, and discharge lamp.

Nuff said. Though, if you can physically get it up there, I'm sure a Pani would be a better option!

Edit to say that regrading the cold weather, if it's an incandescent lamp then keep it on, dimmed at a low level. Or if it's a discharge, maybe leave it running but with some blackwrap in the gel slot to stop the light. Should be enough lamp-hours in a new lamp to allow that sort of thing.

Or point a couple of 1k PAR's at it to keep it warm <_<

Try the Robert Juliat Discharge Profiles or Follow Spot. It worked well in an outdoor condition which I have been using since two years ago. It's quite good and sustain the temperature well. There's also this DMX model so, you can control the lamp and dimming from a remote location.

I'm not sure about the road though, it sounds a bit unsafe to me.

And, maybe I missed it, but is the projection day or night? Best of luck combating winter daylight, or any daylight for that matter...

The projection will only be happening during the hours of darkness, so no worries about daylight problems.

I've spoken to the client, and there is now an alternative plan in place if projecting onto the road proves dangerous or illegal.

Sounds like you need an RJ Dartagnan with a rain coat.

PRG will be able to help you out with both of those, although the rain coat would probably be for an Aramis.

It can be set to auto strike and can have a manual fader or DMX for remote operation if needed.

Or a Lycian 1290 with a rain coat?

Archived