Which shade of pink ?

mal421

I'm lighting a well known comedian soon and the rider asks for a follow spot and a 4 colour wash of red,blue,magenta and pink . I will be using 106 Primary Red , 113 Magenta and 119 Dark Blue because I have those colours . There are so many shades of pink to choose from and my question is which shade would be best ? I'm thinking of using 128 Bright Pink . I've become a lampie by accident so I'm still learning and so far have never had to use pink so I cannot visualise it.

It's going to need to be a strong pink to mix with the other colours (face-light taken care of by the follow-spot) so I think your choice of 128 is a good start. However, it's not that far away from 113. How about 126 instead? Strictly speaking not pink (mauve) but as near as makes no difference and it will mix a lot better with the others.

Dependent on exactly what you're doing with those other colours, and what lanterns you're using them in, I think you might be going a bit too dark with them. They'd be OK as backlight colours in parcans or 2Ks, but probably a bit too saturated for top/front light - think about using some lighter colours for the light coming more from the front. Oh, and for pinks I'd go for 111 for a lighter option or 128 for a darker one.

It's always best not to get too clever for lighting this kind of gig. Acts like this have been around for years, the tendency is for them to know what they like and like what they know (if you see what I mean!). If you try to get too clever with the colours (or, for that matter, microphone choice or other similar things) it can sometimes throw them and that's just going to make the day difficult. If they ask for a blue wash and a good-quality vocal mic, they're going to be far happier if they find themselves standing in a nice wash of 132/119 clutching an SM58 than if you try to get smart and go all 'weird' on them! Trust me on this, I made that mistake doing my first summer season many years ago! :** laughs out loud **:

The rider just says a 4 colour wash of red , blue , magenta and pink . The gig is in a sport centre and there are no lx bars . All the lighting will be on 4 stands , 2 each sideof the stage . All the washes will be backlighting . The only front lighting will be the followspot . If the comedian doesn't work too far forward on the stage I may be able supplement the followspot with 103 or similar on a couple of fresnel aside .

WHY GUESS?

You do have the option to get in touch with the tour manager - if it is a well known comic then there will be a T.M. - and ask them what pink they want? Do they want light pink for face lighting, in which case 107 or 109 would suffice, or do they want dark pink for a backlight state, so maybe 128 or 328 (Follies Pink)

Never be afraid to call the person who has sent you a rider to clarify any points - it is much more preferable as a Tour Manager to receive a call asking a few questions than to arrive in the venue and for things to be not as required and then have to spend time re-doing things. It is also frustrating as a technician if you've spent time rigging etc. to then have to change it all.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived