Help - Fake Bath Foam that will keep - ideas?

CharlotteMatthews

Hello there - new member here. I am directing a production in which my main character sits in a foamy bath for 45 minutes. Any ideas as to "Fake bath foam".

Interesting question.

Fraid I don't have any easy answers, though - the last foam bath I did was in panto, and we used a large foam machine - though it HAD to be run during the comedy duet, cos they're darned LOUD!!

I'd also suggest that there may be pruning issues with this cast member - assuming they sit in foamy water, not just foam...?

:off:

Some means of re-bubbling the foam continuously and keeping it warm, seems a good idea. most modern detergents have foam suppressants, look at bubble machine concentrate or foam machine concentrate. - read the MSDS before soaking someone in it for too long.

I would be inclined to double skin the bath at the front so there is a 4" trough of water between the talent and the punters, as to keeping the foam, a small airstone with off stage aquarium pump running slowly would add as many bubbles as die per min probably less than you would think. Talent can splash and use the water without the skin damage that a week in the bath would cause

Colin

Guest lightnix

Hello Charlotte, welcome to the Blue Room ;)

Every now and then, I like to treat myself to a long, luxurious bubble bath. What I do to ensure maximum foamyness, is to start by putting a "dollop-and-a-half" or two of bath foam in the tub and then blasting it for 2-3 minutes with the shower head at maximum strength, before topping it up with hot water. Soap and shampoo tend to "de-foam" the bath quite quickly, so any prop soap/shampoo should be fake IMO.

Water hardness might make a difference, too; AFAIK softer water makes for more bubbles.

Try the above method at home, you may find that (without soap) the bubbles stay around long enough by themselves.

As for skin problems: I certainly wouldn't try to use anything other than a skin-friendly "bath product" to create the foam; don't be tempted by washing up liquid. It might also be an idea to recommend that the actor showers down with water only after each performance and uses a moisturiser to get some oils back into their skin.

Don't forget to pop back in and let us know what you used in the end - it may help somebody in future :P

:D

I would be inclined to double skin....................

This sounds like a good idea But, the air pump may make a noise so a long length of air hose may be needed and if you ask at your local pet store, aquarium they may be able to tell you which pump would be best for what you want.

Just I idea but if you do double skin the bath you could use a tropical tank water heater to keep it warm cos like me grandma used to say "warm water better bubbles"

Hope this helps

Rob

PS not long till panto time. :D

I could be miles out, but how about enquiring amongst the foam party industry.

I have no experience whatsoever of a foam party, but I assume that the industry must have all COSHH stuff and effects to the skin etc sorted and at the very least it would be a starting point.

I could be miles out, but how about enquiring amongst the foam party industry.

I have no experience whatsoever of a foam party, but I assume that the industry must have all COSHH stuff and effects to the skin etc sorted and at the very least it would be a starting point.

Have you ever been to a foam party? it makes your eyes sting your clothes get wrecked and it all makes the hangover much worse!

Regarding the O.P Did you meen for the whole bath effect to be "fake" so there is no water and just an effect of lots of bubbles?

Or am I just wrong?! ;)

Pete

You didn't say of the bubbles have to pop and disappear or if it's just the appearance of sitting in a bath.

Is there a need for real bubbles & water?

If not, then Bubble Wrap, in strips, is a really quick & easy fake bath.

They glisten & move like water, and adapt to contours, such as the human body.

For longevity of bubbles add gelatin to the mixture.

We did an opera a few years ago, where we had a bath scene. The director did not want to see the actor at the start of the scene, just bubbles.

Some gelatin & bubble mixture with an air compressor to foam up the tub(5 min).

The scene would continue with the actor chopping off the bubbles that were blocking the audience's view of himself. (the bubbles then would float and land a few feet away from the tub.

There would be bubbles at the end of the scene. (15 min)

Jeff

Archived