It don't work!

landy

I have a conundrum and I cant work it out! :D

We have just got an old Stage FX 4 way pyro detonation system. We have to use Le Matre TFs and so I have made up a 4 pin XLR to 2 Bulgin plugs following the pin configuration on the back of the unit. :unsure:

Pin 1 ñ Pod 1 live

Pin 2 ñ Pod 2 live

Pin 3 ñ Not used

Pin 4 ñ Common ground

However the unit comes up with a fault indication as soon as a pyro is loaded :unsure: . I have checked the pods and wiring several times and had colleges to double check and we canít find a fault anywhere. Are we missing something REALY stupid?( It is a wednesday) Or do you think there is a fault with our unit? After all it is getting on for 10 years old.

Please help because it will eat away at me until I have the answer.

In the back of my mind in a galaxy far, far away is a memory that the Stage FX stuff was a bit more 'intelligent' that the LM stuff which meant it wasn't possible to use LM pods on a Stage FX controller. Though I may be wrong.

Regret that you are going to need a few components to make your day... as the Jem Pods had an elaborate yellow and red LED indicator on it to warn of Connection and Armed status.

I seem to recall a couple of transistors, 3 diodes, a capacitor and 5 or 6 resistors... so... sorry! "it ain't gonna be a plug and play result."

The chap that designed and built it the Jem System was Mike Wood. (ex BBC and ex CCT (R&D) I worked at CCT at the same time Mike and I regret that I do not have a contact for him except that I occasionally see his name pop up in Plasa or ABTT publications... so somebody else on here might be able to get some contact details for you.

Good luck and do let us "all" know as and when you get any result with this.

Lincoln

Ahhhh, so that is what it does! I was assuming that it was just a XLR to bare ends adapter and having an aversion to bare ends I ignored it.

In the back of my mind in a galaxy far, far away is a memory that the Stage FX stuff was a bit more 'intelligent' that the LM stuff

And me it appears

Much obliged chaps :D :unsure:

Skyhigh are running a special trade-in on old Jem pods for new Skyhigh pods, then you can get an adaptor which allows you to use LM cartridges. I guess you ought to check compatibility of hardware.

EDIT

Ignore that, the adaptor works the other way around ie a Skyhigh cartridge in a LM pod.

I hope that we are all not getting into a "pickle" about what type of pods we are talking about here.

1. The JEM/Stage FX pods have a "Screw-thread" type of fitting a bit like an ES lamp.

2. The Skyhigh/Torch/Blakes pods have a "single" hole type fitting which has two connections on it, one connection around the side at high level and one connection around the side at a lower level.

3. The Le Maitre "Standard" pods have a 2 pin set of holes on them.

4. The Le Maitre "Angle" pods also have a 2 pin set of holes on them BUT with a different pitch (width) between the holes/pins.

5. The XLFX pods have the same pitch of 2 holes as Le Maitre Standard Pods.

Hope that helps

Lincoln

Thank you all for explaining the who,what,why,when,where.

A final note from me they are working fine with the adapters that Sky High don't admit to have. I was told to ditch the Le Matre and re-stock with their goods. I know they want to make money but where is good old fashioned helpful service?

Archived