Last TOTP

Dweeks

Awww, anyone else enjoying watching the old TOTP clips tonight?

Love the range of old mics they're using, not to mention all the old lighting!

I know why this shows ending, but still, its the end of an era!

Pah, you beat me to it, and I missed the ending too. Aparently Jimmy Savile turned off a large switch which I think was a nice touch. Was a bit cross about the amount of distortion coming from the older mics, spoilt the effect. How many of the acts were lip-syncing too, especially the Spice Girls, even my brother spotted that one!

I still love those spinning PAR 36 lanterns, mostly appeared in that Madonna number (crumbs I don't even recall what she was singing, that is bad!). Did/Do those things have a name?

she was singing like a virgin ......................cough

But I bet you that in no time a new music show will start up againg or that in a few years totp will be back

There are already a lot of tv shows with live music, loads of chat shows have live performers, and C4/E4 show a load of live music.

One of the main problems with TOTP was that the format grew old and tired, they were restricted to showing the music in the top 40, now, this data (I think) only comes from selected stores, and certainly not from a lot of independant shops, not to mention download sites. TOTP were never able to just show the bands they really wanted to, and often had to show videos rather than live acts when the number one spot wouldn't (or couldn't) perform.

I think TOTP became increasingly detached from a lot of people's music tastes, especially with the large range of music that's so easily available now. The format was great, but it didn't adapt well as the way people created, sold and bought music did.

The end of the era that is TOTP marks the end of an era when singles sales mattered. Theres a very real possibility that the words "music" and "sales" will be completely disconnected before too much longer.

Technologic progress created the opportunity for the music distribution business to exist, that same progress has made their existence unnecessary.

I wonder if the international editions of TOTP will also be vanishing...? We get a NZ version, which is truly cr*p, which features local presenters, some local artists, and some London performances. I believe the TOTP Empire spanms many countries...

RIP TOTP, you served us well, I fondly recall recording songs with a mic hanging infront of the telly, with the reel to reel tape recorder, and I'm sure if I look hard enough, those tapes are still in a box somewhere....

........................ I fondly recall recording songs with a mic hanging infront of the telly, with the reel to reel tape recorder, and I'm sure if I look hard enough, those tapes are still in a box somewhere....

Not just me then :)

No - you all had it wrong! High quality was pick of the pops on Sunday evening - all you had to do was remove fluffs voice from the first few secs with a fade in and you had the top twenty each week in glorious mono. (Also on a grundig TK24 with magic eye)

Mind you, I did have some sound only episodes of Thunderbirds with the mic on the TV.

Internet - Pah.

Now, of course,finding something that can play 3.75 ips 4 track tapes...

15 ips on my Tascam 44; recorded into Audition and time stretched! Doesn't sound quite right though :)

At about age 10 I made up a lead to connect a TV antenna to the mic input of my "Silvertone" (Canadian department store brand) reel to reel to see if I could play it back into the television later.

Needless to say, I didn't quite invent the first home video recorder....

From the sound of things though, if anybody on this forum could find an old domestic four track reel to reel, it could have quite a career touring the country while we all dub old, much-loved material. My box of tapes is under the bed in the spare room!

Bob

15 ips on my Tascam 44; recorded into Audition and time stretched! Doesn't sound quite right though :)

If the original was at 3.75 ips and had a top frequency response of, for the sake of argument, 18khz, they when you play it back at 4X normal speed, you're attempting to reproduce up to 72khz, probably well outside the realms of possibilty of the electronics in your recording chain.

Pitch shifting it downwards will correct the frequencies you preserved, but it can't do anything to replace the ones that were lost.

(Why do I know this? Been there, done the same, shrank the Tshirt in the wash!)

You think that mic in front of the telly (or radio wireless) got anywhere near 18kHz ? :)

Your explanation is spot on though ;) ,I reckon anything over about 6 kHz is lost. Also I don't think the original recordings were done at a constant speed. IIRK the machine had only one motor, which would slow down as the load increased towards the end of the tape.

It's not particularly the stuff from TV or radio I want though, it's things like the plays my dad directed (at the school where he taught).

Guest lightnix

Something else to make us all feel old, even some of the youngsters, I suspect ;)

Perchance it is not dead, but sleepeth...

They couldn't keep Doctor Who down, and they won't be able to kill TOTP, either.

It'll be back... one day. You wait and see :)

The programme afterwards about Pan's People brought back some *ahem* "happy" memories :angry: I was always more of a Ruth fan myself (apparently she works in a council housing office now). Babs was nice, but I could never quite see why everybody went so overboard about her (apart from being blonde, that is).

Dam Lost the post:(

What I find weird is that although people say oh its because of the 24 hour music channels, MTV TMF the hits etc. I really don't think that they did cause the untimely downfall. Half the time they don't play music videos any way.

As Tom said they could not cover the range there is now, hip hop, rap rock, nu metal (what ever that is), goth rock, dance, pop, there is no way that everyone could be kept happy. What were the figures for the final weeks before it was decided. In any case I guess it was above BB or love island.

Archived