SHOWTEC Studio Beam 575

Nicktaylor

I realise these are copies of other kit, but what do people think about their life expectency. I am thinking of buying twelve, though wont be worked that hard so I would rather not spend top dollar!

I bought 8 of these about 18 months ago and think that they're great for the money. They can be fitted with a HPL575 lamp for maximum efficiency, but I believe that is not allowed as it breaks ETC's patent.

But roughly equivalent to a 1k PAR64 for little more than half the power draw (this matters to me), relatively simple to change the beam shape (the lens change is fiddly and is greatly helped if you have the proper tool for only £3-4. I've dropped one lens by not having inserted it properly!), super easy to rotate the lamp (no more burnt hands).

And, in my setting, far less obtrusive than PAR64s would have been.

Construction quality - very solid. Think I saw one poster say he broke the cable gland, but admitted that it was with the kind of abuse that you would expect to cause problems.

I say they're great value.

The build quality is very good actually. We bought 40 in silver for exhibition use last year, and still going strong. You can use a GKV.

Have you bought them yet :) Only asking as we sell them also ;)

I've just bought 4 of them from the Thomann site on Friday. They haven't arrived yet but they do look like well built beauties.

I bought 8 of these about 18 months ago and think that they're great for the money. They can be fitted with a HPL575 lamp for maximum efficiency, but I believe that is not allowed as it breaks ETC's patent.

I had to order mine from Thomann because Terralec suddenly stopped them due to them being copies of ETC's and probably ETC are trying to get down on everyone - including Showtec. They stopped selling the barndoors too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Avolites Art 2000 24ch, thats cost effective, works every time, and needs no servicing, and will go for ever! Its DMX, and because it works every time etc it needs no fixing, servicing etc costing very little, if nothing to 'run' - thats cost effective!!

Or did you mean cheep?

Hi

I doubt that someone who can't afford ETC lanterns will seriously looking at an ART2000. Showtec make 12-channel dimmers, they're fine for small budgets.

And if you think Avo kit is service and hassle-free, you should try talking to any Pearl/D4 owner...

All the best

Timmeh.

yeah art200 is out of my price range ... ** laughs out loud **

looking at either http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_multidim_dmx_uk_vers.htm

or http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_multidim_mkii_dmx.htm

anyone know know what plug the studiobeams are supplied with (mine are in transit) IEC? in which case the top one is best ? sorry bit of a n00b when it comes to dimmers etc

• 2 weeks later...
looking at either http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_multidim_dmx_uk_vers.htm

or http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_multidim_mkii_dmx.htm

anyone know know what plug the studiobeams are supplied with (mine are in transit) IEC? in which case the top one is best ? sorry bit of a n00b when it comes to dimmers etc

Agreed with the earlier poster, a cheaper dimmer is likely to be more suited to a typical user of these fixtures! I run mine off a pair of the MultiDims that you refer to. I went with the UK version to avoid having funny Shucko connectors/adapters. At least by having IECs, I can also run them if need be direct from and IEC lead from another source. At the time (a few years ago, this resulted in quite a delay in the order, that may well have improved now. IEC connectors are a little fiddly to fit, unfortunately.

The dimming curve isn't perfect, but for under £20 per channel, it's not bad!

The only problem I've had was that the internal fuse went on one of mine, but quickly replaced.

As for the connectors on the fixtures, I'm pretty sure mine came with bare leads, which is kind of what you'd expect.

• 4 years later...

Archived