Smoking a joint on stage

Suzette

Greetings from Ireland, where smoking in the workplace has been illegal for two years now! Herbal cigarettes, however, are still legal onstage. Buy Honeyrose or something like that from your local health food shop. Perfectly legal to smoke onstage, you can take them apart and use them for "grass". The best bit is that they are so disgusting and they smell so bad, actors are unlikely to nick them! Saves you your props budget!

From the proposed regulations published this morning...
3.15 Performers: The Health Bill makes provision in clause 3 for those participating as performers in a performance, or in a performance of a specified description, not to be prevented from smoking if the artistic integrity of the performance makes it appropriate for them to smoke. These proposed regulations set out that where the artistic integrity of a performance makes it appropriate for a person who is taking part in that performance to smoke, the part of the premises in which that person performs is not smoke-free in relation to that performer, only during the time of the performance.

• 2 weeks later...
Smoking a real joint (without the 'herbal' substance!) is not an option - its a drama school production and we actively encourage the kids NOT to smoke, and we have to come up with other solutions.

(Apart from the fact in this production my risk assessment will just say "no" - lots of reasons, too many to go into here)

The only option is something fake - we'll look at the talcum powder idea, thanks.

If you Actively encourage the kids not to smoke, then why do you wish to show someone smoking on stage...

Prepares for fury:

I dont think this is an appropraite thread for conversation on whether or not smoking on stage promotes smoking.

Shouldnt we stick to helping the OP achieve they're effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This thread is rather old, but relevant to me!

We're putting on "Memory of Water" and several spliffs are required to be smoked on stage.

1) Are they available in a convincing but drug-free form?

2) If they were to be made, what "tobacco" would be best, considering one of the actresses would be sick trying to smoke real tobacco?

3) Will the smoke show up or be obliterated by the stage lighting?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

This thread is rather old, but relevant to me!

We're putting on "Memory of Water" and several spliffs are required to be smoked on stage.

1) Are they available in a convincing but drug-free form?

2) If they were to be made, what "tobacco" would be best, considering one of the actresses would be sick trying to smoke real tobacco?

3) Will the smoke show up or be obliterated by the stage lighting?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Speaking from experience (from giving up smoking), if you go to a head shop then there are various herbal alternatives to tobacco that can be used. Most smell like burning cats but "mellow yellow" is ok and is even hemp flavoured :rolleyes: You can even by prerolled cones that you can just fill up. It is still pretty nasty for a non-smoker to be inhaling stuff, even if it isn't tobacco, and costume won't thank you for how much it all smells... I would prefer to find a stage alternative and hang the realism.

That being said, I'm sure your circumstances are different but we recently put on "Company". One of the scenes has them smoking in an apartment. As they were sat down we used an oversized bong and hid a hazer behind the "bed" they were lying against. The resulting effect got some of the biggest laughs every night!

Oh, and the smoke will show up, otherwise hazers would be pointless...

Speaking from experience (from giving up smoking), if you go to a head shop then there are various herbal alternatives to tobacco that can be used. Most smell like burning cats but "mellow yellow" is ok and is even hemp flavoured :stagecrew: You can even by prerolled cones that you can just fill up. It is still pretty nasty for a non-smoker to be inhaling stuff, even if it isn't tobacco, and costume won't thank you for how much it all smells... I would prefer to find a stage alternative and hang the realism.

That being said, I'm sure your circumstances are different but we recently put on "Company". One of the scenes has them smoking in an apartment. As they were sat down we used an oversized bong and hid a hazer behind the "bed" they were lying against. The resulting effect got some of the biggest laughs every night!

Oh, and the smoke will show up, otherwise hazers would be pointless...

Great! Thanks BigHippy

P

Archived