Smoking a joint on stage

Suzette

I've done a search but can only come up with smoking normal cigs on stage.

Any ideas on how to make an oversize joint that can be puffed on and an amount of "smoke" is issued - similar to the the fake puffing cigs but as a joint.

What is used in the fake puffing cigs to produce the "smoke"?

Hey,

If the member of cast actually smokes/willing to smoke on stage then there is no reason why you cannot make a 'real' joint and smoke it on stage. Whenever I have seen people smoke fake cigarettes/joints on stage it really does not look good, and they usually end up chocking on the talc!

Obviously you would need to risk assess and make a smoking plot, as well as putting the correct fire appliances in place. Usually KY jelly or sand in a ashtray ensures that it is properly extinguished. Also putting a member of the crew on fire-watch satisfies local councils and inspectors.

This is of course presuming that the talent is willing to smoke!

HTH,

Ben.

Not great advice, given that come summer 2007, it will be illegal to do so. We may as well come up with alternative means now, while we still have the choice, rather than rely on real smoking until it turns illegal.

Smoking a real joint (without the 'herbal' substance!) is not an option - its a drama school production and we actively encourage the kids NOT to smoke, and we have to come up with other solutions.

(Apart from the fact in this production my risk assessment will just say "no" - lots of reasons, too many to go into here)

The only option is something fake - we'll look at the talcum powder idea, thanks.

I heard that there was an appeal going on that would allow smoking onstage as part of performances? Is this not going to be the case?

By the way Su, I've used the fake cig's with talc in before, they look ok from a distance, not very convincing close up though, 2 points;

1)Tell the actor to blow, not suck :huh: and not blow too hard else you end up with 'talc-spots' on their costumes and the floor.

2)The talc won't last for more than a few puffs at a time.

I heard that there was an appeal going on that would allow smoking onstage as part of performances?
The appeal has been turned down in Scotland, NO Smoking On Stage, but I believe they are still considering it in England & Wales

Guest lightnix

You could do it by suggestion. Just have small smoke machine by the actor's entrance, emit a tiny burst on cue and have them walk through it waving the joint around. Maybe they could put it to their lips as they walk off and another puff of smoke come from the wings as they exit.

£0.02

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah smoking on stage here in Scotland is a right bummer! Especially when a character's only personal characteristic is made up by a cigarette. C'mon, this has to be truly justified!!!

Just off from that though, there was an incident involving Pete Docherty smoking on stage at the Corn Exchange and the venue got a nice bill slapped on their front door. Anyone remember any details?

Archived