Atmosphere Lights in Pink and Yellow

Jivemaster

In two months I need to provide lights for the room of a wedding and reception. For the meal they want Pink and yellow lights. This is for 150 guests and in a medeval barn with some LARGE timber beams.

LED balls, Birdies, pin-spots, Mirror ball? What inspires you that you can share with me. Who makes or sells or hires LEDBalls?

I am located in East London and the gig is west of London one night only.

By LED balls, you may want to look at ChromaSpheres, by Pulsar.

What about a few mirror balls, maybe not rotating. Light them with pink or yellow profiles on each so the room is covered in little pink and yellow spots?

Guest lightnix

Maybe it's me, but I seem have trouble getting decent yellows out of RGB LEDs - they often end up looking rather "mucky".

Your client says they want "pink and yellow lights", but what are they going to be shining on? The acres of dark wood that tend to dominate these medieval barns are not going to show the colours to their brightest and best advantage. To ensure that this base colour scheme shines thorough, I'd look at hanging long strips of white (fireproof) material, banner style, from the beams to the floor. Weight / fix the bottoms and uplight using one or two 1kW floorcans per banner (depending on the height / width), carrying CP62s with filaments set vertical; smooth out the beams with Half Hamburg Frost on top of the colour. If you use a gauze or translucent material, you should be able to light from behind and conceal the lights / protect them from punters and vice versa. You may also be able to texture the banners with gobos, assuming you can hang enough kit; obviously I don't know what the SWL will be, but for comparison I recall the Brewery Centre in London specifying a maximum of only 60kg per (pretty large) beam :o :o

Back to the "pink and yellow": what sorts? Do they want a "tasteful, high class" affair, with pastel roses and straws, or are we looking at something a bit more "Chav", with saturated magentas and sumptuous golds? Using two (or more) shades of each colour (one as a base, the other to highlight) can add texture, depth and dimension to a look (using two shades can also make it look like you are using more lights than you really are ;) ).

Either way, I'd definitely include a sprinkling of white somewhere - colours alone, especially warm ones (even pastels), can generate a "hot and heavy" atmosphere, particularly in a confined space full of people. Consider using white pinspots to highlight flower arrangements on each table and on the mirror ball. I might cautiously suggest introducing a tiny little bit of blue somewhere; it wouldn't need to be much at all, but used wisely and very sparingly it will "pull the pink and yellow together" (as it were) and add emphasis to their warmth.

You should also consider lighting the top table for speeches - raising the level at that point will work wonders in silencing conversations and turning everybody's attention to the happy families :blink:

Although I dont know who hires them, I have bought and used extensively a 4 channel RGBA [Red,Green,Blue,Amber] which gives you the warmer pastil colours which in my optionion is very seductive.

I can recommend where to buy, but not sure on hiring as Luxeon LEDs are expensive so the stock cost is initially high...would you not consider purchasing?

Looking at a straw yellow and a pale pink coloured moonflower array so far or pink and yellow pigmy lamps. Or even the Abstract LED panels.

However a mate's wife says it's pink for true love and yellow for jealously so things could yet change!

I think the Chromasphere's would look very sexy for this. As with the panels they have good uniform distribution and will get the pastels you desire. Hung at different heights around the barn would be lovely. IIRC you can connect four of these units to every output of the 'zone (though I'm not 100%!) which might make hire cheaper. That said, the 'spider' cabling system is one of their biggest disadvantages and more localised PSU's might be worth the money.

The Abstract panels don't look anything like as good - colour is not even and with some combinations you can see the components. This is similarly true of the majority of cheaper copies out there (including my own hybrid :lock: ) In my experience the Pulsar units are the best for this application.

As Lightnix points out I would not consider any 'raw' LED's for this. Yellow is about as bad as it gets - red + green! Without good diffusion this always looks bad unless you can guarantee to hide the source. That is regardless of luxeon or not.

/Edit: and of course the real beauty is you can give them the option of any colour they want should they change their mind. Even slow fades etc.

Does your client really want Yellow?

There are almost no yellows in a standard swatch book (plenty of straws and oranges but not true yellows). This is because yellow makes certain skin tones look horrible.

If these lamps are going to shine on guests you may get complaints about having ruined the photographic opportunities of the event (however if they are only illuminating features there would be less of a problem).

So far; the yellow and pink will either be 15w softone pigmy lamps in festoon cables or a 250w moonflower in each colour on the ceiling, or a spot of each colour onto a mirror ball. Ideas requiring much rigging get less favour from me!

Yes I go to a wedding most weekends and sometimes I wonder whether the bills will be paid off before the separation. Did one a while back and the bride was 16 and THIN she looked great in a real meringue of a dress but she said the highlight of her wedding was riding in Mickey's glass coach.

Archived