Dynamic mics for a school

bruce

I got asked an interesting question tonight....

Primary school hall, which has a TOA mixer-amp (Balanced inputs, but no phantom) and a couple of 12+horn speakers on sticks. A few XLR tie lines from stage area to side where amp sits, and tie lines across for speakers.

All very basic stuff, but perfectly adequate for 95% of the stuff they do - morning assemblies and similar sort of things.

However, their mics have been abused, and need replaced. The originals are AKG D-something...

So...what to get? No phantom available, and don't want to use batteries. Needs to be robust enough to cope with young kids. Budget not fixed, but 3-for-100-to-150 quid is the right ballpark.

Should they go for something like SM58s, cos they're reasonably bombproof, or just accept that they're going to get abused and go for some budget SM58 clones and buy spares. Or something else entirely?

All opinions (especially real-world ones, rather than opinions-based-on-magazine-articles) welcome!

Bruce.

Have you had a try with the "cough" Behringer XM8500 ?? I have been sending them out on hire recently to less respectful customers - they are surprisingly good, if anything they can be a little too bright on the top end but for around £20 ... they seem OK so far.

Chris B

(non-CPC post)

personally for something like that, go for the SM58s, ok there are mics that sound better but 58s can be thrown around, dropped and will still work fine, plus most of the parts are easily replaceable.

As a general rule dynamics are unpowered, anyhting requiering phantom or batteries could well be more sensative to being thrown around

Red 5 audio do 58 (RVD20) style mics for about £25. They are not great quality, and will die after 2-3 years use, but cost 1/2-1/3 of teh price of a 58. They also have on/off buttons (strange I know) but these can be taped over. once dead they are excellent wedges to stop flightcases rolling away.

The website http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Dynamic_Microphones.html lists them as £36 but I think they do a schools etc deal where if you stick up a sign saying microphones by........ for a year or two you get a discount. This was certainly the acse 3-4 years ago.

I'd be getting SM58's - I challenge a bunch of kids to break them :)

I remember stories about when the Sm58 was first released, some more 'enthusiastic' people would sell its indestructability by hooking the thing up to a spectrum analyser, then unplugging it, throwing it against a brick wall and then back to the analyser - nothing changed!

They are indestructable - I have a few that have been driven over that still work. Granted, the grills will need replacing every couple of years but I'd be getting them.

If you want to save more money maybe get PG58's which are not quite as bombproof, but still OK

SM58 would be the first choice or as a second, the PG58. Sennheiser's Evo range is also pretty well built although I don't have the evidence on their longer term durability. We have, however, sold a number of them into schools with no problems reported yet!

S.

Granted, the grills will need replacing every couple of years but I'd be getting them.

if they're not too badly squashed, you can unscrew the grill and "panel beat" it back into a roughly spherical shape with your thumb....

I'd vote for the real thing - you can get them for about £65 plus VAT if you shop around a bit, and even when treated roughly the chances are they'll last 10 years or more.

Hi Bruce.

I think you can see where this is going.

try here. here, here, here

Please note the last 2 companies I have not dealt with so cannot tell you anything about them.

I'm not a huge fan of the PG58. its cheaper, but not by alot, and whilst it sounds ok, its DEFINATLY not as bombproof as an SM58.

Rob

Have you had a try with the "cough" Behringer XM8500 ?? I have been sending them out on hire recently to less respectful customers - they are surprisingly good, if anything they can be a little too bright on the top end but for around £20 ... they seem OK so far.

Chris B

(non-CPC post)

We have some, originally bought as a cheap back up. They are ok soundwise although I feel they lack brightness cf our SM58's. They are less directional so more prone to feedback but better for when the little dears wave their microphones about. Fairly rugged. I now use them mostly for miking up instruments. They seem to to that very well. They come unswitched which is good because it seems that anyone presented with a microphone will switch it off then tell me it's not working.

I put the Sennheiser Evolution base model (815 I think) out with Karaoke, From Maplin they were £35 ish or less in the offers book. They have a switch which I like but you can lock them in the on position with a quarter turn of a small screw.

Archived