Daylight Gig Suggestions

mattoverall

Hi all,

I have a gig for band(s) that crosses from day to night. Last year I found that my lights were way too low powered to offer any lighting at all - in the end the only clue of there being any lighting at all was the fact that they could see some mirrors moving on my scanners :) Not ideal. Obviously when night came it all looked fine!

So this year I want to work out how to improve the daytime effect. I have got 8 LED Par64s this year which I was planning to mount 4 or 6 of behind the band facing at the audience in order to produce a bit of 'eye-candy' (to quote!). I also have 2 LED Panels (XP1s) that I was going to mount on the staging again at the front facing the audience at under eye level. Are there any other - or better measures I can take to increase the effect for full sunlight?

FYI:

-staging is 24' x 16' at 3' high)

-Its a 'metal' gig - so they like there dramatic colours and strobes :)

-I currently have no Gels on the Pars(ie the LEDs are visible) and reading elsewhere it seems like a 'frost' is what is needed, hopefully it will not be too much so as to render them useless for the daylight section.

Matt,

Frost on the LED pars would be good if you were trying to use them to light people. If, as in this case, they are for effect only then they'd probably be better without.

In the daylight you can only really do effects which are pointing towards the audience, though if the sun is casting large shadows on the performers then you may need some fill on their faces and, TBH just some outdoor floods would probably do the job.

The strobes won't do anything until dark, of course, because no matter how bright your strobe the sun is going to win that battle!

Don't try to do too much too soon anyway - it'll make what you do later on look better! :)

Yeah they only thing you can really do for effect is to have all your lighting pointing out to the audience from behind. If you look at gigs such as Live 8, T in the Park, Download and Leeds Fest, they all seem to have chromabank arrangements and blinders and strobes pointing out to the audience.

If you have any parcans (non LED) you could use open white and have them all over the place and individually patched for random out effects (you could do this with your LED ones too). Same with blinders where you can use blinders more as an effect than what they are supposed to do - which wouldn't work in daylight!

You might get away with strobes being positioned outwards, but only for effect and if you have the 1500W style ones!!!

During the day you'll need so much power that it'll be ridiculous to try and compete with the sun, even all your parcans will be outshone. You'd be well advised to invest in some set/props for visual interest, and maybe looking at covered/enclosed staging to improve the contrast onstage with whatever you do have. Look at something like T4's beach gigs - you're spot on with 'eye candy'; as much LED fixtures, or walls if you have the money, for the audience to look at, rather than to actually light anything.

Put the biggest light where you want it - i.e. if you have an enclosed stage, and can influence its location, have it face east-north-east. That way the sun will be behind the stage, giving your lights a chance that much earlier in the concert as it dips below the canopy and speaker wings.

...if you have an enclosed stage, and can influence its location, have it face east-north-east. That way the sun will be behind the stage...

But be careful it's not shining in the punters eyes (the sun that is). Depending on the show start and finish times, stage height, trees and other shading you might want to swing in round to east a bit more.

funny that it travels 93 million miles and still wipes out whatever you can throw at it. Before you waste your time and money grab a light meter and see what it reads in daylight, then look at the photometrics for even 5K HMI discharges. Even if you could see what effect it was having, what good is a white splodge in the middle of the stage. Till the ambient light drops you can't do any mood lighting at all. Come dusk and you start work. Watch any of the big tv stuff and you'll see plenty of back light that you can see going on and off - it doesn't however do anything at stage level.

Ha can you see a hard as ass metal band group playing around a glitzy jazz mattazz of mirrorballs - that would be a specticle!

Ah, didn't spot that! Still, perhaps some VLMs sat in the sun as scans, or huge sheets of material with saturated colours to reflect light back onto stage a different colour.

Alternatively, I shall exit stage left...

Perhaps someone needs to invent a "daylight" mover, that collects the sun via a big mirror, focusses it doen and then aims it at a waggling mirror...

Of course, you would need some fancy programming in your Hog so that the collecting mirror could track the sun...

Perhaps someone needs to invent a "daylight" mover, that collects the sun via a big mirror, focusses it doen and then aims it at a waggling mirror...

Didn't Archimedes already do something along those lines about 2000 years ago? There may be a problem with setting fire to the band, kind of in a brat/magnifying glass/ant stylee. :unsure:

Archived