Fake pregnancy

Guest CodeCracker0291

Guest CodeCracker0291

Ok, I'm not sure where this goes so I'm going to post it in a few places. Ok, we're doing an small piece of Wicked which includes the Opening scene. If you're not familiar a women gets pregenant basically. It happens so quick, that it kinda shows a time lapse. So basically what I want to know, does anyone have any idea how I can achieve this on stage? I would like for you to see the female's stomach get pretty large. I was thinking there's got to be some way but I was going to check on here because I know there are alot of talented people on this forum. Anyways, thanks a bunch.

-Jerad

:huh: Sorry to be a :blink: but please only post to the one most relevant forum (I've moved it to Props & Wardrobe for you), most users look at a selection of them, so those with relevant knowedge will see your question anyway. Also I can't quite see the relevance of the question to electrical and power! :P

Hi. Just to add my 2p :blink:

Could you try strapping an airbag of sorts to the actors chest, then using a handpump or pump of some kind to inflate the bag? thus giving your rapid transformation? :huh: ah well as I said, just my 2p ( or is it worth like 5p with the economy now :P )

Duncan

Guest CodeCracker0291
Haha, I see what you're saying. I had a kinda similar thought but I was going to see what kind of response I got first. What I thought of is having the bag on her chest and actually use a very small "potato like" gun to "slowly but quickly" release the air into the bag thus feeling it up. But I'm not sure if stapled trashbags would work. I may need something more pregenant looking like..haha. What do you guys think?

Stapled trashbags usually have holes in them so that little kids don't suffocate themselves. :blink: On second thoughts, what about a sort of hot water bottle shaped bag, which is the same shape? :huh: I cant for the life of me think of the idea I had before. Depending on where the actor is, if she is lying down, then could you use an oxygen bottle or something, either camoflaged or not to provide the filling device. Ive also just remembered my idea which is what about the folding water carriers used for camping, then you can just shape it by using tape to how you want it to look, using air to fill it up.

Duncan

Ps these water carriers are very cheap from what I can remember.

I saw this effect last week in a production of "Can't Pay, Won't Pay" at the Brockley Jack in SE London. The actor had his hand in his pocket and turned a valve of some sort to inflate the stomach.

I'm sure someone there can give you the details.

Could you try strapping an airbag of sorts to the actors chest,
/pedant on/

I somehow feel that strapping something to the lady's CHEST might just possibly create the wrong impression.....!

/pedant off/

:blink:

One thing I feel I've got to state:

High pressure compressed gas is DANGEROUS.

(It's also really expensive!)

It really scares me when people suggest using "An oxygen bottle" or similar - those are pressurised to around 1000psi. One way to find a pinhole leak in a 1000psi air line is to run your finger down it - when your finger falls off, you've found the leak.

I spent a few years working around high-pressure CO2 and Nitrogen - it might only be air, but it's still a potent power source.

I really wouldn't feel happy about putting a high-pressure source on an actress - I'd much rather use a manual pump or if you want electric, something like a high-volume-low-pressure (HVLP) pump.

I'm sure you've seen the warnings at petrol stations:

"Warning: Tyres May Explode!"

The same applies to the effect you've got strapped to your actress.

Make sure the inflating object cannot cause a hazard - keeping the pressure well below that required to burst it, fitting a safety-valve (or safe bursting point, like the green disks on CO2 fire extinguishers), and making the bag out of a material that cannot cause injury if it did burst.

What about some sort of giant water balloon? I know logistically it could be a bit of a nightmare, but then if she has to walk around "pregnant" then the weight of the water will help it look convincing. You can get those pregnancy simulator things, though I have no idea where, maybe if you got hold of one of those you could empty out whatever is in them and alter it to fit your requirements!

I was looking for 2 full size bellys for our college show the best thing to do is go to a local midwife and askN no one in our area had any but they did have the local child birth trust number they were willing to let us borrow 2 for £100 each per week.

I'm sorry to have to mention this, but what you want to do is ILLEGAL.

You may perform songs from shows without getting specific copyright clearance ONLY if your venue has a PRS license and you do not perform them in context. In other words: NO COSTUME, NO PROPS.

Using costumes or props that place the song in context means getting permission from the copyright holders and as this musical is currently in production on Broadway and about to move to the West End I can see no way that such permission would be given. Doing an excerpt from the show is COMPLETELY OUT!!!

So, I'm really sorry but you SHOULD NOT DO THIS unless you are prepared to be sued for a lot of money.

:blink:

Since this is being discouraged, I will still answer this academically - with the "compressed air" idea - if I was to do it that way, I would use an air duster (compressed air in a can) - they are a hell of a lot lighter, easier to conceal and fairly sturdy (After all, they often get thrown arround a lot more than they would being concealed in a costume). It would not be difficult to 'duct' the output into one of those foil balloons using some small diameter tubing and some electrical or duct tape. Or, to make life even easier, you can buy cans of air for inflating tires in emergencies. Attatch a valve from a bike tire or inner wheel to the balloon, then the actress just needs to press the cannister to the valve to inflate.

That said, you will have a noise problem to deal with.

Mac. your air duster / emergency tyre inflator was just what I meant. ah well great minds think alike. although those foil balloons arent exactly strong. I recon a camping water carrier would be best for this job

Be careful with the emergency tire inflators though, as the ones I've seen actually squirt a type of liquid sealer into the tire to stop the air escaping. So if you're not careful you could end up with liquid going everywhere if the balloon/bag were to pop.

Probably the air duster idea would be better suited to this application.

Archived