Fake pregnancy

Guest CodeCracker0291

I'm sorry to have to mention this, but what you want to do is ILLEGAL.

You may perform songs from shows without getting specific copyright clearance ONLY if your venue has a PRS license and you do not perform them in context. In other words: NO COSTUME, NO PROPS.

Using costumes or props that place the song in context means getting permission from the copyright holders and as this musical is currently in production on Broadway and about to move to the West End I can see no way that such permission would be given. Doing an excerpt from the show is COMPLETELY OUT!!!

So, I'm really sorry but you SHOULD NOT DO THIS unless you are prepared to be sued for a lot of money.

:)

Illegal, maybe - but if the copyright owners were really bothered then every school and college would be guilty, wouldn't they. Many actually think that because they are educational - they are exempt, but nobody ever puts them right. I suspect that the original poster may well be in college - maybe wrong, but a guess.

For what it's worth, PRS do not have the release rights for many current west end/broadway shows - the original copyright owners withdraw the works from outside agency licencing and deal with it themselves

For what it's worth, PRS do not have the release rights for many current west end/broadway shows - the original copyright owners withdraw the works from outside agency licencing and deal with it themselves

Indeed, and they don't give permission.

Illegal, maybe - but if the copyright owners were really bothered then every school and college would be guilty, wouldn't they. Many actually think that because they are educational - they are exempt, but nobody ever puts them right.

Your second sentence proves that the first is true - those who perform excerpts from shows ARE guilty of copyright violation. Many schools and colleges know this and, therefore, do not perform the material in the show's original context. They perform in a new context - maybe setting the whole evening in a cabaret club, for example. That's fine. If you change the context, wear "concert" style clothes and don't narrate the story then you're OK. Many people know that and abide by the law, others don't know about it or think they might get away with it. Unfortunately some get caught and are given big fines.

I guess it's like doing 80 on the motorway: it's illegal and if you get caught there is no excuse that will get you off. You just have to pay the fine. Trouble is, for breach of copyright the fines are much bigger. My advice, both as an individual and most certainly as a Blue Room moderator is - don't do it!

I'm sorry to have to mention this, but what you want to do is ILLEGAL.

You may perform songs from shows without getting specific copyright clearance ONLY if your venue has a PRS license and you do not perform them in context. In other words: NO COSTUME, NO PROPS.

Using costumes or props that place the song in context means getting permission from the copyright holders and as this musical is currently in production on Broadway and about to move to the West End I can see no way that such permission would be given. Doing an excerpt from the show is COMPLETELY OUT!!!

So, I'm really sorry but you SHOULD NOT DO THIS unless you are prepared to be sued for a lot of money.

:)

We need to put this into perspective.

What the OP is saying (from the personal details section) is that they are a student, and have been given this bit of Wicked to do as part of their studies - no doubt leading to some kind of assessment.

In schools, colleges and unis this kind of thing happens every day - to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever had any form of legal action taken against them. The courses they are on have been approved by the government as having suitable content. How can anybody on a musical theatre course complete it without doing any?

As the industry benefit from these people (both artistic and technical) it is not in anyones interest to ban them.

What is illegal, as I understand it, is to put these segments/extracts/contractions/edits into a public performance - especially, when people pay for tickets. There is some controversy currently over what exactly 'public' means? The general educational interpretation is normally that if strangers can have a ticket, posters are put up - then the whole thing is treated the same as an amateur group putting on the show. If it is for other students, staff or even at a push, family - then they seem to get away with it.

Educational establishments have a number of strange licences - to enable recording of TV and radio programmes, photocopying books, magazines and newspapers. There are limits to the quantities, percentage of the whole thing etc, but these things are required to do the job.

Nobody condones illegal activity - but we should not criticise apparent transgressions without the full facts.

Back to original subject, inflatable pillows (as opposed to less convincing foil balloons) can be bought from camping shops (as can canisters which will work more effectively than an air duster iirc).... neither are expensive.

The foil bladder inside a box of wine makes a great camping pillow and it's free!! (If you drink all the wine...) It has a very simple valve which could have a tube attached to it running inside the actors clothes and out their collar like on of those platypus drink things walkers have. The actor could press the bottom on the tap and blow...

OK it's a faff, but its essentially free!!!

K

Archived