Complicated systems for newbies.

Bad_Rock

I've seen that sometimes to have a lower class system it's better than to use a top one. A regular Peavey or Das system already full range might be better than using a bi-amp system from a better brand. It happened to me that in order of getting better sound we choose a higher quality system even when the dudes at the clubs don't know how to use it.

My question is... using a very good x-over ( probably a digital one ) and fixing the knobs of the amps can I make it as easier for them ( the ones at the venues ) as to use a self powered speaker- let's say a Jbl Eon?

Thank you very much.

I'd say that something that will help tremendously is pre-wiring amp racks etc, and labelling everything up so that left goes into left and right sub goes into right sub etc.

In terms of system setup, I don't think it will be as easy, because every venue is different and a bit of science comes into play to get correct speaker placement etc.

Could you give some examples of situations you're likely to be in?

I'd side with Simon. A better quality system need not be complicated if everything is labelled. I always find that if you find a well labelled system - as in the ones that appear at my main venue, anybody can plug it up. Sometimes it is labels, but over the last year, I've got a bit long sighted, making reading small text at close distances a problem. I like it when they use colour coding. A speaker cabinet has blue/yellow tape on the cable, and the socket - another has blue/green.

I'd 'almost' defy anybody to get this wrong! (Almost has to go in here, because I can think of one person who would get anything wrong - but he is totally dependable, reliable and trustworthy)

I'd 'almost' defy anybody to get this wrong! (Almost has to go in here, because I can think of one person who would get anything wrong - but he is totally dependable, reliable and trustworthy)

When you say "reliable" do you mean you can rely on him to get it wrong? :huh:

What I mean is that some people use cheaper equipment like the self powered Mackies but they have better results because they get the 100% out of them. They are already active with all it's advantages-built in cross over, eq, limiting etc. Mine need's to be managed and when somebody touches the x over or eq or something then "trouble" comes up.

I'd like to know if there are any efficient way to make it that easy even with more complex systems.

Regards.

I'd like to know if there are any efficient way to make it that easy even with more complex systems.

Set your loudspeaker management system up carefully to achieve the best sound from your boxes. Then lock that programme, so that it can't be altered. Matching the system to the room can then be done with the "guest" EQ (which should have a large "defeat" button!).

Prewire racks (as suggested above) and use multi pins for fast setup.

Remove the possibility of incorrect connections by standardising on cable and connector types (e.g. if your FOH loudspeakers need 4 core cable and your wedges need 2 core, make everything 4 core to avoid the wrong cable being used).

Mark up every connection, so it's clear what gets plugged in and where.

Have a standard "start" memory on digital desks.

It should be possible to set up a more advanced rig so that its added features are not apparent to the not so experienced user. It can cost quite a bit to do, but the rig will go up more quickly and with less problems...

Simon

Would be interesting to know what your current set-up is?

In most cases, active systems (e.g. active crossover, bi/tri-amp) will deliver a better, more defined sound. If this is a mobile system which is used by different operators then you need to minimise the set-up options. We tend to use dedicated system controllers which have the cross-over settings factory set and optimised for the cabs. Nothing the user can really do to harm that apart from play with the sub level. Like posts above, our amp racks are pre-wired so its simply a case of signal in and speakers out on 4-core cable. Never had a problem yet, even with relative novice ops.

Steve

Archived