Strand Tempus dimmers with MP108 desk

Jamtastic3

Hey BR, just a wee thing here...

A few months ago I lit a rock show at my old high school. They have 4 ye olde Strand Tempus 6 channel dimmers (red panelled). I was using a Masterpiece 108 board, using both analogue for the dimmers and DMX for the movers. But everytime I plugged the dimmers in, they wouldn't do anything except stay on random static percentages where I could have no control. So in the end I had to use a Sirius for the dimmers but I was wondering what the problem was?

Does it have something to do with the analogue signal being different from the output of the board to what the dimmers can take?

Cheers!

Masterpiece 108

Tempus dimmers

Movers

(condensed OP!)

I can't say I know much about the Pulsar desks (nothing from experience, in fact!) but my first questions would be:

Do you KNOW that the deks should be able to send control signals to BOTH the analogue and DMX outputs at the SAME time? I've had a quick scan over the Pulsar site and can't see anything specific.

If that IS the case, does the 108 output the right polarity of analogue 10V for Strand gear? Strand needs -10v, I suspect the Pulsar outputs +10v....

Has this desk been used for those Tempus racks before?

If the desk is NOT capable of outputting to both signal types, then you could well be using the same control channels for both sides.

Just some thoughts.

TD

Ah yeah I see now, thanks guys.

So is there a way of 'converting' the way the signal works so that I could have control of the dimmers in the future or should I use another board? (24 channels, max 8 movers, subs etc)

p.s. I used the MP 108 because although its an old skool beast of a board, it's the only board I know too damn well!

Also about the signal types - with the analogue signal, it will adress this from the beginning of the board, so 4 dimmers will give me from channel 1 to 24. Then thereafter as long as I group DMX fixtures from 25 onwards I should be fine but even I'm not sure if I can use both signals at the same time cos I'm used to the digital stuff!

To answer the first part (as I'm not sure what the second means), yes, +ve can be converted to -ve without to much difficulty. IF you are comfortable with a bit of simple electronics. All you need are a few inverting OP amps and diodes.... Talk to a Geek.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering from reading in another thread...

Would I be able to use a Demux to control the dimmers from a DMX line from the lighting board. I don't know exactly what a Demux does exactly but does sound ideal for my situation (??)

Archived