Lighting Qualifications

For an assignment I need to know what qualifications are needed to be a lighting technician/Chief LX? Are these people the same thing?

Also need help on what role they play within the theatre?

Any information on this would be greatfully recieved.

Hanx

Han

A Lighting Technician would be someone who would be involved in the rigging off lanterns onto the LX bars, FOH etc, do a gel call, perhaps focus the rig for the more advanced lampies, plot the desk, or touch up the plot as provided by the Touring Lampie.

A Chief LX is basically the boss man when it comes to LX - he'd be in charge of the crew, delegating jobs etc, and is the man mostly likely to focus or plot.

This is a very basic description, and to be honest just because your a Lighting Tech doesn't mean to say you wouldn't do the jobs of the Chief LX and vica versa.

HTH

Stu

and is the man mostly likely to focus or plot.

I don't think I would agree with that completly.

Apart from the fact that you said 'man' (I know many female chiefs) I usually find that it's just one of the crew who focuses, as the chief is usually trying to sort problems etc..

Richard

Sorry :o I must admit I forget about you girls! Wasn't meaning to be sexist at all!

And I did say that this wasn't the written rule, and people are likely to do a bit of everything no matter what their job title is!

Stu

Very basic definitions of the jobs...

*(theatre)*

Chief LX:

Responsible for working with the the designer to put his/her design into the venue, ie doing the patch sheets, ordering hires and consumables, doing risk assesments, ensuring enough crew are booked for the rig etc...

Could also assist in drawing up the Plot for the designer, and then producing rigging plots from the designers plot.

The Chief LX will be around to sort out any problems that arise during the rig, or the show. Will also be incharge of keeping an eye on and recording the LX Budgets etc... (if it has been passed to them to do)

Lighting Crew:

The team that will hang the rig, focus, colour etc... Will work under the Chief LX (usually). If there is no designated Board OP or Programmer then a member of the LX crew would usually take on Board OP and Programmer.

The Chief LX usually wouldnt Program the show, as they need to be free to sort through any problems that may arise during the process, and to manage the rest of the crew.

The above is a general guide,

Hope this helps...

Could also assist in drawing up the Plot for the designer, and then producing rigging plots from the designers plot.

In the above sentence, I take it by plot you mean plan. Plot (in this sense) is an Americanism which I strongly resist the use of, particularly as in the UK we tend to use the word plot to mean the act of putting Qs into the desk.

Otherwise I'd tend to agree with the definitions, except in the West End and on some tours, where (for the fit up/production period at least) the role you describe as Chief would actually be done by a Production Electrician. But maybe that is muddying the waters.

I take it by plot you mean plan.  Plot (in this sense) is an Americanism which I strongly resist the use of, particularly as in the UK we tend to use the word plot to mean the act of putting Qs into the desk.

Otherwise I'd tend to agree with the definitions, except in the West End and on some tours, where (for the fit up/production period at least)  the role you describe as Chief would actually be done by a Production Electrician.  But maybe that is muddying the waters.

Agree on the first point - the drawing that comes from the LD is the plan, not the plot. Plotting is the process of actually lighting the show, there may well be a hard-copy version (cue-by-cue or as a spreadsheet) of the desk's contents which would be referred to as a plot, and there might also be a focus plot which records the setting of each lantern in the rig for touring or rep purposes. But the rig drawing is not a plot, it's a plan. (Although it may well be printed out on a plotter!!)

And just to muddy the Chief LX / Production LX waters a little more ... yes, in regional rep the Chief will carry out all the functions of the production LX role, and in the West End, with most theatres being just bricks and mortar, the production LX will take pretty much complete control of the rig. But if a tour is opening in a regional rep theatre then going out on the road, the venue Chief LX and touring Production LX will often share the responsibilities - or perhaps the Chief will take the show up to opening night and the Proddy will then take over in advance of the first move.

Agree on everything (and a much better explanation of the use of the word plot).

But what about qualifications? As far as I know there are no hard and fast rules that say you need any formal qualifications to do either job. Most Chief LX would probably need to have one of those City and Guilds things (never know which is which) if they are looking after a venue but not necessarily.

The two common C&G things seem to be 236 Electrical Installation (parts 1&2) and 181 Entertainment and Theatre Electricians (parts 1&2). Does anyone have any views on which is "best". The 181 would seem the obvious choice but a number of jobs ask for the 236 which seems to be the more general qualification. Comments form people that have done either. Or is some other qualification altogether more useful?

I'd also say that in many Reps the Chief LX (if they are called that) will also design most of the in house shows.

One of the LX crew will act as Prod LX and Board Op

If the show is touring our and it' slit by the Cheif he will go to the first date to relight, acting as his own Prod LX ifits a Monday fit Up/Opening and then hand over to the Company Manager. Obviously in an ideal world you would have a Proddy on the road but it's subject to negotiation with the tour's producer

You may end up paying the Production LX out of your own pocket in desperation!

David

I did the 236 parts 1,2 and the optional 3rd year (c course I think)it was aimed at contracting sparky.The first year was spent learning the basics both theory and praticle,at the end of the first year theres a praticle exam covering conduit, trunking,micc,swa and pvc cables,along with the usuall multiple quess exam .the second year was mostly theory,covering motors,heating and lighting, power distrubution,some nice A.C theory,and lots of requlations.After passing part 2 youve still got to take the AM2,a rather tough practicle exam before your a qualified sparky.Theres olny a few things we covered at collage which I havnt needed in a theatre,and if I get bored of theatre work I can always get a job rewiring houses

Hi

I've done C+G 2360 Parts 1 and 2 and just completed the C+G 2391 Inspection and Testing (heavy stuff!). From what I've gathered, the 2360 is definitely the way forward in terms of training for theatre bods. If you've done a degree or diploma in stage management/technical theatre you'll have done a fair bit of what's on the 181 course already. The 2360 is more in-depth - I reckon employer's would prefer that one as a qualification. It's definitely proved very useful for working as a building based lighting technician.

Bye

Going back to TheMadHippy's point

I have taken my 236 part 1 (currently doing part 2) - you say at the end of part 1 there is a practicle exam on conduit trunking etc.

I must have been asleep that day, I did not take one. I did the multiple choice theory exam, but no practicle.

We did all our practicle through the year.

I passed the course. (thus why I'm taking the part 2)

Rgds

Ben

Archived