Opera house ban moving of tallescope

richard

, it looks to me to be smaller than a scope (also 3m) with the outriggers in position.

the point about the tallescope footprint is that it is cruciform rather than square or rhomboid, and can be moved without outriggers in place, leaving aside the issue of someone at the top, the outriggers can then be fitted. this possibility does not exist with the esca 2000.

having said that, it would be the ideal kit for changing lightbulbs in our foyer - flat floor, unobstructed, likely to want to change all the lamps at once, - much easier to get in and out of the space than a scope or genie. We just decided the scope was more versatile for the theatre spaces.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I've got an ESCA, I bought the 8 metre option, as one of my grids is at 7.5m high (no storage space for a tallescope). Unfortunately, the thing is extremely heavy when assembled and fairly difficult to lift with only 2 bodies. On top of that, when it's actually up, it's not all that easy to turn/wiggle move - so went back to my old tower with a folding base.

When I first saw a demo, it was only built at 4 metres, and incredibly easy to move around on! Was told it was just as easy to move at 4 metres as at 8 metres... :)

Now it very occasionally comes out of the bags, and only if I've got a big rig to put up - and only used on my 6.5 metre grid...

oh well, live and learn...

Ricardo

Just had a quick look, Ah those things that Homebase and B&Q use. Looking at this picture is that how you are meant to move 8M ?? no swivel wheels?

erm, no. the esca has steerable wheels and can be "driven" from the access platform. my guess is the man in the picture is just showing us how strong he is.

• 2 years later...

Very interesting debate, We had a tallie untill 2 years ago, and used to move it with a body on board, using the 5 crew method.

We regularly inspected it and checked for things like loose bolts, rivets etc. On the final day of use inspection, we found that the main pivot tube had a crack in it, one of the lock rivets had sheared and the safety clip on the main boom had failed. Further investigation discovered that the damage had been caused by a car reversing into it (we had to store the 'scope outside in the carpark) therefore making it unsafe to use.

We now use a Genie UL25 VWP to access our FOH rig (5.5m height) and a Zipup tower to access our On stage rig (4.5m).

I'd agrree that using the Genie take a little longer, but it makes life a bit easier when having to rig lamps.

Back to the Tallescope question, ET Now have comment from the ABTT on the question:-

http://www.etnow.com/news/2008/12/moving-t...s-in-the-basket

More and more it seems to me that we are told to risk asses things (and then not do them); but if we DO a RA and decide it is acceptably safe, we still get a kicking... Or am I getting (more) jaded?

Edit:- Now I've split all the driving bits out, I see that the post two above refers to the same article, in a different magazine.

Archived