4kw amplifier

Rich newby

Hi again guys,

I am in the process of supplying a sound system of a local theatre. It will consist of 2xHK audio actor DX115b subs and 2x HK audio premium pr:o 12 tops. I am now looking at amps to power them, I was thinking of using 1x 1200w@8ohms and 1x1000w@8ohm amps. However I am really having trouble finding some withing price. The beautiful crown I-Tech amps are perfect spec to run the whole system of just 1 amp, but they are about 3x my remaining budget. I have about £1600 for amplifiers, which should be OK as I'm not looking for lab grubben quality! I was looking at some of the QSC amps but they don't go anywere large enough, it would require me to run each speaker from a separate amp.

Just if you guys know any amps lurking out there within my budget and power ratings.

Rich

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the HK audio actor DX115b subs you're proposing to use - they're not on HK's website as a current model, and Google didn't show anything up. However unless they incorporate passive crossovers with outputs for the mid/top boxes, you'll need two amplifiers (one each for the subs and the pro 12 boxes), as well as an active crossover to split the sound between the two amps.

Are you looking for new or used amps? If you are running passive, and need just one amp, the Crest CA18 is hard to beat (particularly for an install - they're a bit on the heavy side). They are starting to appear second hand for just under £1,000.

If you're going to run the system with an active crossover your amp requirements will be more modest - roughly twice the RMS rating of the speaker - I don't know what power the subs are - probably about 400 watts each?, and the pr:0 12 boxes are 400watts, so you're looking at less than 1000 watts per channel. If you search the web you'll find you're spoilt for choice as far as second hand stuff goes.

For an active crossover I really recommend the Behringer Ultradrive pro - it's easy to set up and works very well. I have 3, and use them to cross over EV SX300s and S200s to subs, as well as running my wedges. I've never had any trouble. I know many people slag off Behringer (and I know that their pots and faders aren't the best), but I am delighted with these, and with my ultracurves.

Edit - SORRY - I've just re-read your post, and realised that you are planning to run it as a 2-way active system. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that will put out 800 WPC into 8 ohms and come in withing your budget if you're buying new

Isn't the Actor an active unit?

Edit: just done some more digging, it appears that it is a passive unit that is designed to work in conjunction with one of the powered Actor subs. HK don't appear to market it heavily as a standalone box, it's aimed as an adjunct to the powered sub.

Which probably explains the 8 ohm rating.

The Actor DX certainly is http://www.hkaudio.com/Portable/Active/actor_dx/ and the current model of sub is 'ADX 115 Sub B' - I suspect that the 'A' of ADX indicates an active design. I've had a good look on the web, but can't find anything at all on the DX115.

Its so annoying that many manufacturers take the trouble to maintain information about their discontinued products available on the web. It would be so easy to do, and cut down on calls about obsolete products.

There are some manufacturers - BSS is a case in point - I downloaded from them today - appear to have brochures and spec sheets for many of their old products

The actors sets come with 2 powered subs and 2 passive ones, the powered ones run themselves and 1 passive. You can buy all the speakers separately from a the known German shop.

Anyway, from what you are wanting, budgetwise I might suggest the Tapco Juice amps (Mackie):

http://www.tapcoworld.com/products/juice/index.html

The J2500 has 2500w at 4 ohms so 2 of these could give you plenty of power. I think the prices can be as low as £300 each.

If you want something better I would look at the Crown XS900's which are about £580? each and are approx 2.1kw at 8ohms (with a waranty for 3 years)

Crowns are very nice amps and sound beautiful, I have their 'budget' XLS 602 and the bass response they give is sweeeeeet!

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xsspec.htm

(note that I edited the above-but-two post while the previous posters were composing a reply...)

There is some more info on the unit HERE.

I'm intrigued to know wht the OP has chosen this unit and intends to use separate amplification, when you can get the active version, which undoubtedly will have amplification which is well matched to the unit, for an additional 300 pounds per side.

Ok, I have not had a choice of the subs, they were already bought when I was called. I was then give a budget for tops and a separate budget for amps. Yes the actor subs are the unpowerd subs from the actor system. I have been looking at the tapco amps and they don't seem too bad. Oh and yes I have got a separate budget for outboard. I am intending to use a samson crossover. Any more suggestions for amps?

Sorry, im used to working bith bigger budgets!

Rich

1200watts per channel at 8ohms?

Thats really going some before you even look at the budget.

I use Powersoft DIGAM 7000's and they'll kick out 1050watts per channel at 8ohms.

(2x3500 @ 2 ohms mind you)

As amps get larger they tend to get heavier. The QSC RMX5050 which will also give you 1050wpc at 8ohms is a good 35kg. As are Crest CA18's etc etc.

To keep the weight down you can use switch mode amplifiers. The trouble is then they become so much more efficient. the output at 4 and 2 ohms is impressive for size and weight but often the 8ohm output less so.

For an amp that gives 2x3500watts rms at 2ohms. 1050 watts doesn't seem much for 8ohms. It does however show its efficiency.

CA18's RMX5050's can often be picked up around £800 used. The digam 7000 or the like a little more (typically around £1000 mark) this is well under half the NEW cost particularly the last 2.

I just can' think of anything that would fall in your budget that will give that much power if you only want 2 amps.

if you want to use 4 amps then problem is solved.

2 RMX2450's and 2 RMX1850HD's or 4 RMX2450's. You shoudl be able to pick up the 4 amps used within budget.

That would even give you a bit of headroom.

Rob

yer I was looking at 2 second hand qsc plx2402 for the tops and 2 plx3002's for the subs. This is the best way I could think of doing it and they would have worked out on the budget however the the company doesn't want second hand parts, and to be honest I have recently had a rather nasty encounter with a second hand amp, so I cant say I'm disappointed.

Thanks guys

Rich

Why not look into the QSC RMX series as they are good value for money ... and then flick them into bridge mode - the RMX2450 provides 1300W @ 8 Ohms when bridged. As for second hand amps - if looked after the QSC amps are very robust! I have never bust one yet and some of mine get abused by dry-hire folk.

Regards

Chris

(non-CPC post)

and I think they do 1200W a side into 4 ohms

750W a side into 8Ohms for 1kHz and 1% THD+Noise

1100W a side into 8Ohms for 1kHz and 1% THD+Noise

However, that's not going to sound too good....

for 20Hz-20kHz and a more reasonable 0.1%THD+N it delivers

700W a side into 8Ohms, and 950W a side into 4Ohms.

BUT! if run from a 230V supply, the 8 Ohm figure drops from 700W to 650W. The 4 Ohm rating isn't given for the lower supply voltage.

Input sensitivity is 8dB. By implication, this is actually +8dBu.

There is a noticeable sonic difference between this amp and the Crest CA series I use in the rest of my system, but then again, there's a significant cost difference too. The Yamahas do have a basic crossover/filter built in, they are light, cheap and don't look too bad!

Simon

Another one I havn't mentioned is the Void Acoustics amplifiers which may fulfill your requirements. It is part of the 'infinate' series, models 7/8 will may be great for your requirement and these arn't too much (approx 500???) and give out 890w/1290w at 8 ohms / channel (10hz-20khz, 0.1% THD)

http://www.voidacoustics.co.uk/product_detail.asp?id=31

Hope this helps you. Personally out of all the suggestions, I would go for the crown XS series as you get 3 years warranty and they are known for their quality.

Archived