Multichannel amps

timtheenchanteruk

I am looking to purchase a new amp, but have been looking at a few multi channel amps, mailny so I would only have to carry one, or two compared with the 5 or six amps I use at the mo.

I am looking at between 4-8 channel amp

suggestions on maker/models, as I cant seem to find may around

My principle use would be live theatre work, in a 700 seater venue, so a reasonable amount of power would be useful so not to drive them hard.

Plus what do people think are the for and against, so far I have:

For:

Only one amp.

Less rack space taken up

Less sockets needed

Against:

As good as normal 2chan amps??

If one amp goes, do they all die??

Weight?

Any help gratefully received

Against:

* Yes, if one channel goes they generally all go. Ususally a power supply problem or a channel effects the PSU when it dies so it kills the amp.

* (on some amps) less power per channel compared to 'regular' 2ch amps.

The 4 way Lab I saw was about the same weight as a Lab4000 (FP6400 now).

Lab Gruppen have them, as do Chevin Research and I'm sure there are more.

Well, you certainly have summed up the plus points.

Quality should be the same as the two channel amps from the same range. A power supply failure may take down the whole amp though so that may be an issue.

The main thing I have against them is the power ratings. You will probably be pushed to find an amp that can delivery much above 500 wpc at 4 ohms (about 350 wpc at 8 ohms). For lower power, general purpose work they will be fine but for serious gigging they don't have the horsepower required.

My recommendation would be the Lab Gruppen FP2400Q. 4-Channels and only 8.6kg in weight.

Steve

Hi, We have a Camco Vortex Quadro 3 running a Nexo PS10 rig. It died properly once, however it only took a pair of channels out with it. I believe its designed with 2 PSUs built in (I think this is the case, not that I can find anythign to back this up!). AC/Fuzion/Camco fixed it under warranty and its been fine ever since (ok, so we did loose the whole amp for a week or so). Was quite an expensive bit of kit, but at the same time its very useful.

Jeremy

We have Lab Gruppen 1200C's (now fp 2400Q) running the top end in our 4-way monitor bi-amp racks (low end is taken care of by 2x Lab Gruppen 1600C's) and they are very reliable solid amps. Pretty much the only problems we've had with then is crackly pots, but that has appeared across the range and is easily sorted with a replacement pot.

As for the Camco's although I've not experienced the four channel ones, we've had no problems at all with the twelve Vortex 6's we have so if the build quality is as good on the four channel ones, which I would imagine it is, then you stand a pretty good chance you'll have no problems with them. This is quite important if you are relying on one amp for your whole system.

It's the old adage 'you get what you pay for', and if I was running a system off one amplifier I would like to know that I can rely on it! I wouldn't skimp on this one if you can afford it in your budget.

The main thing I have against them is the power ratings. You will probably be pushed to find an amp that can delivery much above 500 wpc at 4 ohms (about 350 wpc at 8 ohms). For lower power, general purpose work they will be fine but for serious gigging they don't have the horsepower required.

Powersoft Digam Q4004, 4x1,000W RMS into 4 ohm, 4x600W RMS into 8 ohm. 1U high, 10kg. The only bummer is price which is around GBP 2k, but on balance not bad for the power/weight/size. Less powerful variants of the Q series are available.

Even lighter is the L series. Most powerful is 4x700W RMS into 4 ohm, 4x360W RMS into 8 ohm. 1U high, 7.3kg.

Very tasty all round. I'd love a couple, but they're currently (just) out of my price range. Just think what you could do with this stack!

Another vote for the Powersoft amps.

I hire 2 4 channels ones in. Think they are the Q4004 for 8 montior mixes ina silly lightweight 2u rack. To be honest I dont think they are too overpriced. You'd do well to get twice as many of the same quality amp for any less (2 channel each)

I use their 2 channels amps on the bottom end of my A rig. DIGAM 7000's and what a great amp they are.

I'd recommend them any day of the week!

Rob

and Alec.... about the picture..... ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Archived