Top Tips For Small Lighting Desks

Thirdtap

'Lo

In our hire stock we have several Zero88 XL 12 channel lighting desks generally hired for small conferences and events. I haven't spent much time using them myself but I understand the layout having used other Zero desks.

Sometimes when they go out on a job there might not be a dedicated lighting person so lighting would be carried out by a sound or video person who hasn't used the desk before.

Soooo... what I am asking for are from people who have experience of using the desk some top tips that I can compile and put onto one page as a rough guide to programming and using the desk.

Many thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmm..I was stalked by an XLS (the 24-channel, 9 page job) for a couple of years...top tip: don't replot (level-matching - ugh!) in the interval, if the house lights are run from the desk...Makes the second half a little tooo illuminating for the audience!

to do a quick DMX patch, turn the knob to dmw and run through the channels shown on the little display on the left. push the flash button on the channel you want to use for the light/ fixture.

i.e. channel 1= foh whites.

2= foh red

3 foh blue

4 foh green

5 footlights

6 cyc lights

7 onstage open whites

8 o/s red

9 o/s blue

10 fx

11 warm

12 cold

and so on...

take a look at the zero88 manual for the rest. it is a good one.

cheers

andrew

I have done the same thing with the house lights many times.

I too have an XLS, I find it a bloody good desk for doing "live - don't know what the hell is needed" gigs.

I have just purchased a Lanbox, but still use the XLS over the lanbox in prefrence.

Did you buy it new or used?

I bought mine used (in very good condition) (inc flight case, lamp, leads, manual and memory card) from Fourth Phase.

Bargain of a price aswell. I paid £150.

Best bit of kit I have ever bought.

I like it soo much, I even sleep with it!! (well ok, it's under my bed)

Did you buy it new or used?

Used, not quite as cheap as yours but still a good price.

I like it soo much, I even sleep with it!! (well ok, it's under my bed)

Hmmm, mine lives in the longue, tho' not in it's flight case. It's the guest bed which has the lighting desks under it - used to be 1) Zero88 Elara, 2) Lee/Colortran 36-way tri-master and 3) Lee/Colortran Prestige 120, thankfully I'm now down to just the Prestige (which I really ought to get rid of).

What, even better than the Strand MX48 for live and dirty shows?!

S

My choice would be the Jands stuff for small-scale, conventionals, "I don't know what the hell is happening"-type shows. An ESP, or preferably, an Event.

What, even better than the Strand MX48 for live and dirty shows?!

S

I dont think Strand could EVER be considered a Live desk.

JAnds out play Strand on every front when it comes to live useage. In my opinion Strand are on their way out anyway. What with MA's now moving into the West End.

In my opinion Strand are on their way out anyway. What with MA's now moving into the West End.

With respect, Merlin, I think your opinion is wrong. For pre-programmed theatre-type shows, Strand is the market leader, with ETC not far behind. MA? Nice ideas, but just not widespread enough.

In my opinion Strand are on their way out anyway. What with MA's now moving into the West End.

Try touring the country to most theatres. Of the 30 or so that I have had the pleasure of visiting I would say about 85-90% are all strand 300/500's. Others either have noticed there errors or just don't have the money to change

Whilst that figure remains where it is then there will not be a move away from them. You can't tour a big show now with out a disk for a 500 or you will come unstuck....

Ben

I agree. 500 series is everywhere nowadays and the MX48 was the best small desk ever made for theatre stuff and conferences. Very easy and quick to plot and you could have 6 effects going at the same time, all at different speeds with timings set when played back not when recorded. Crying shame it was discontinued. Its replacements were not as good.

With respect, Merlin, I think your opinion is wrong. For pre-programmed theatre-type shows, Strand is the market leader, with ETC not far behind. MA? Nice ideas, but just not widespread enough.

With respect, I have toured pretty much all over the world with both large scale and small scale theatre as well as Rock and Roll. and yes I have used Strand consoles and I have to say that I categorically HATE them. No not just hate them I despise them. As to the MA's not being wide spread enough I think you'll find that pretty much every major tour in the states and a large number of Broadway Theatres now use MA's, that is now being reflected over here, with MA's going into the WestEnd and Tours being replotted on MA's, ie Starlight Express and Mama Mia.

Also there is nothing that a Strand 550 can do that an MA can't do in half the number of keystrokes. Ontop of all that MA consoles will read a Strand Show file via ASCII Show reader.

ETC Consoles are a slight bit better than Strand but you try controlling moving lights off of an Expression 3 even with a moving light wing, it aint easy or fast.

But... your personal opinion does not reflect the opinions of everyone else who's making decisions, that's my point. You are perfectly allowed not to like a desk, but to imply they're going to be superceded soon without any regard for how widespread they are is a bit odd.

Shall we agree to disagree? I don't really want an arguement, I just think you're wrong, (IMO) and you think I'm wrong. Let's wait and see.

Archived