Le maitre firing voltage

Alpha

It's not so much what voltage as what current. Most igniters have a guaranteed fire current of 0.5 Amps. Knowing that their average resistance is 1.6 Ohms means that they need 0.8 Volts on the end of their wires. Because their resistance is so small you need to factor in the resistance of your wiring. For instance, if you had a load of bell wire leading to them measuring 20 Ohms (10 Ohms out, 10 Ohms back) you'd need about 11 Volts at the far end of the wire.

And with 6 of them in series you have 6 x 1.6 = 9.6 Ohms which for 0.5 Amps is 4.8 Volts.

Pyro wise (and I know this has been said before!) if you can, go on one of Lincolns courses. Not only do you get to blow things up, and get a certificate at the end for doing so, you also understand more about them...and one of the demos that he does, is to connect an effect to a 1000V supply at very low current, and then a pencil battery. I'll leave you to figure out what fires

Dan

Lincoln is a member (of high regard) here and posts many courses in the effects and pyro section, Also his profile here permits you to contact him directly. He only gives general advice by remote means as the safety considerations may preclude responsibly offering advice without the full details of the situation.

PM him for a course near you. Min age 18 by statute law.

Lincoln's course is very valuable as you get the theory and the practise and a certificate, You also see lots of different pyros so you know what effect goes with each name.

I think it depends on the venue, and if anyone's subsidising it. When I did the course, our local Adult + Communuity development office at the council arranged a course, and cost to us was £20 (they had funding for the rest)

Courses are also advertised on the ASP website (www.stage-pyro.co.uk), although I don't know if they are all run by Lincoln.

Dan

I think it depends on the venue, and if anyone's subsidising it. When I did the course, our local Adult + Communuity development office at the council arranged a course, and cost to us was £20 (they had funding for the rest)

Courses are also advertised on the ASP website (www.stage-pyro.co.uk), although I don't know if they are all run by Lincoln.

To be accurate neither the ASP nor Lincoln actually run the courses. The courses are organised either by organisations like the ABTT or BECTU; companies like Stage Electrics or White Light; or by venues who then sell spare places. As such the cost does tend to vary. Typically, a course which is not being subsidised will cost around £100 - £120.

Aren't you supposed to have a ticket / license to fire pyro's?

In Australia you can't even buy or collect pyro's without a license. And the only way you can get a license is through a training course.

In regards to the OP, unless you know exactly what you are doing, only use purpose build firing systems that suit the pyro's you are using. Incorrect current through your pyro's can make very bad things happen.

Too low - no fire -> red face but also a now highly volatile pyro that may go off randomly.

Too high - has been known to make pretty display pyro's explode.

Then again, had you done the training you would have known about that, which may just be the benefit you were looking for.

was just wondering if anyone knew what voltage it takes to launch one flash pot and one gerb seperatly (basicaly if they are different) and what is required for 6.

ive been firing pyro for so long without having gone to any form of training or course, I dont know what value it would have to me. apart from getting to see some things go bang.

Well, it might teach you some basic information about firing voltages/currents, to start with! ;)

Archived