Best Vocal Mic for live shows

Bad_Rock

I, like Scouse Dave mentioned, am one who likes the Sennheiser Evolution mics on Vox, I only have one E835, but I do like it. It sounds crystal clear. Some my assumption would be that the 845, 855 and 865 mics would be increasing in quality of reproduction and likewise with the new(ish) 900 series.

I also like the Sennheiser Range.... I would chose it over any SM58

Hiya,

Just to add my bit to the conversation. I have been playing with a Audix OM6 as a lead vocal mic for a tribute band. I has a little more mid bite then the humble 58. It has a lot more gain before feedback and has a great matt black finish if you are into estectics..

Fleeting

The "Best" mic depends on your preferred sound, your equipment and your voice. Remember that the vox eq is not the music eq. Prob a mic input/preamp chanel would allow you to fine tune your sund.

SM58 is the standard vox mic and is a good mix of sound and robustness. The Sennheiser range has adherents in the vox range and is usually cheaper than the 58.

• 3 years later...
Beyer M88

What mikes have you tried, and liked?

I also vouch for the beyer mikes and was the proud owner some years back of a Beyer Tgx-80 -at least I'm almost sure that was the model - It was black and it had a rubber ring around the head that could be replaced with a different colour ring etc -help me out here someone ** laughs out loud **

Unfortunately it packed in after after a few years of hard giging and I never managed to come across another one. but it was such a distinctive sounding mike and I never forgot it

I moved on to sm 58s and beta 58s which is what I now use and find them a good workhorse

Always wondered about getting another beyer though

Rusty

It all depends on your voice and what your using it for. I use a beta57a for vox, it suits my voice.

Ive used the E945 and they are really good for certain peoples vocals, I find for me as an in house guy the beta58a is the best all rounder. This is mainly because tour engineers like them and are generally always happy if their your stock vox mic. Its all horses for courses and will come down to personal opinion.

I have used a beta87 a few times and its a great mic but can some poor with certain people vox, eg I would never use it with a death metal screamer.

Chris

As we've seen. It was just a little over 3 years ago. I would expect Mr Rock has bought the mic or not bothered by now and carried on using the 87, it would be interesting to see what he went for in the end if anything.

However, every time he posts he tends to get shot down for reasons unknown so for that reason (perhaps amongst others) he doesn't frequent the forums too much.

This can probably be closed, before more people miss the posts AND the date telling them its age. Of course, I don't have a key for the dancing locks.

As nobody seems to be taking the hint...

THIS IS A THREE YEAR OLD THREAD SOMEBODY ACCIDENTALLY POSTED IN!

If you really, really want to discuss vocal mics, there a far more current thread HERE which is only a couple of weeks old. However, don't feel compelled to reply unless you really have something new to contribute.

In order to let this zombie of a topic rest in peace, I'll close this until it returns to the grave.

:(

Bob

Archived