Best Vocal Mic for live shows

Bad_Rock

SM58's are an industry standard. Pretty much anywhere you go that has a live performance you will find a 58 somewhere. I am a personal fan of Beta 58's rather than straight 58's, they sound that little bit more warm!

It really is a personal choice when it comes to mic's, I would suggest, if at all possible, trying a few different mic's and seeing which you prefer.

Also what environment are you going to be using it in? I am assuming club/bar as you say decks?!?!

Ben.

I'm sure there are better models. The Beta 87 it's the best one from Shure that I ever heard. I mean pro mics pls.

Cheers

So the SM58 isn't a pro mic? Riiight. Maybe you should do a little research before rejecting people's advice out of hand.

A big fan of Audio Technica me . The SM58 was a good mic but you are buying a brand new 30 year old microphone . Let your ears decide for you the 58 may suit your voice it may not . Try as many as you can and then decide . To add my tuppence worth I like the ATM41 HE as a general vocal mic .

The SM58 was a good mic but you are buying a brand new 30 year old microphone .

Well that certainly says something about the quality and reputation that it has gained! Yes you are buying effectively a 30 year old design, however, as far as I am aware they have made little tweaks and changes along the way, and still are!

"WAS" a good mic??? Has it been discontinued then?

Ben. :(

The 58 is a decent mic - Presumably you will be mainly MCing etc. It will be fine for this (SM58 users include Tom Jones and Judas Priest).

The SM87 is a great mic, but if you're just going to be yelling into it, a 58 might be better in the long run.

If your monitors are loud - you could try a beta 58 or other hypercardioid mic. The Black Eyed Peas use Beta 58s as well as Ozzy Ozbourne...

A lot of people prefer the Sennheiser Evolution series to a 58/beta 58 but it all depends on whether the mic suits your voice.

They are all pro mics - Just suit what works for you and your budget.

Dave M

The SM58 is probably the most commonly used mic...but that doesn't mean it's necessarily good. It's just what people have got used to! It's two main attributes are A) it's tough as nails and B) because it's so common people know how to use it. Personally, I find I need to used a lot of EQ to make most voices sound okay with an SM58. What Shure call a "distinctive" vocal presence boost I call "harsh".

However, different mics suit different voices so the best advice so far has been to try as many as you can. There have been some good options mentioned already, but two more to add to your list:

First, the Audix OM series (OM-3 through OM-7 depending on the pickup pattern that works best for you). Audix can be a bit hard to get in the UK due to a fairly inactive distributor, but I tend to find in quality terms they knock the SM58 out of the ring.

Second, if you can consider a condensor, I've been very impressed lately with the Rode S1. It's built at least as tough as the SM58 and I quite like the sound on a wide range of sources.

Bob

So the SM58 isn't a pro mic? Riiight. Maybe you should do a little research before rejecting people's advice out of hand.
I got 36 Shure's Sm58 on my warehouse ( just counted it before writing my answer ). Do you think I don't know them? I'm asking for a better one for my self. I never said I didn't know them.

By now the best vocal mic I've tried it's the Beta 87 from Shure.

Bad_Rock - what is the application that you're gonna use it for the most?

I, like Scouse Dave mentioned, am one who likes the Sennheiser Evolution mics on Vox, I only have one E835, but I do like it. It sounds crystal clear. Some my assumption would be that the 845, 855 and 865 mics would be increasing in quality of reproduction and likewise with the new(ish) 900 series.

I'd also vote for SM58s also - who wouldn't want those amazingly robust workhorse microphones?!

I know you've said it's gonna be for you, but as others have mentioned, there's no "best" microphone for anything, as it all depends on the instrument that's being amplified. So yeah, you're probably gonna have to experiment if you want "the" best one for your vocal.

Having said this, the polar patterns of the mics are also suited to different setups, so if the setup you're gonna be using it is likely to change then a single microphone might not always present the best solution.

Si

Ok, pro mics you want ? Pro mics you get...

Try a Neumann KMS 105.. not a mic for the faint hearted... Quite sensitive to control, but stage mics don't get much better than that if you ask me.

And, just some advice, you're on a pretty specific forum here, so you might want to think twice before saying that a sm58 is not a "pro" mic... especially if you have 36 of them in your warehouse, which isn't where they should be in the first place, they should be out on rental.. hehe :( :P ;)

Another vote for the Audix OM range. depends on pick up pattern and your style. they can' be hard to get in some countries not sure bout your neck of the woods.

I agree with some of bobs opinions on the 58. Everything they put in I take out again. they do sound a little harsh for some applications. I am not SM58's biggest fan by a long way but they are a popular mic and one that many people will choose so I have to have a stock of them. I dont mind using them at all. I can't say they are a bad mic, and you can throw them at a wall and back the van over them knowing they'll still work.

and now for the ME TOO part of the post. Try a few out see what works best for you.

rob

Archived