Adb lanterns

skinnytechboy

You don't say which ones. I've used 500W F51 Eurospots (CCT Minuette derivatives) in a small venue and have generally been happy with them. However I've just bought a batch of C51 PCs for a Village Hall and most of them are a newer variation which no longer has any retention for the colour-frame/barn-doors. Also the front plate is pop-rivetted instead of screwed which means that the lens probably won't be removable for cleaning without drilling out the rivets. Signs of nasty cost-cutting at ADB that you may want to watch out for. However they were a clearance bargain so I can't grumble!

David

The F101s are pretty decent - heavy b*ggers though. Nice range of angles though. Their 5ks are quite neat - much smaller than the Strand ones.

Don't get me started on the DS and DW104's though... completely different story.

Thanks for the info peeps. This forum is really useful. Incidentally, It's the F101's and F201s that I'm interested in. I manage an F.E. venue that has a support mesh beneath the grid for learner access. So I'm looking for strong lanterns that are small in depth. At present we use a lot of the old 734s without barn doors, cos there's no room. :(

We've been dealing with ADB for a while now and have a number of their lanterns on our rental stock. The 500w Eurospot range are essentially CCT Minuette clones. Not the best optics in the world but nice compact units all the same.

The F101 / 201 range is superb. Build quality is solid and the optics are good with a high light output. The focusing handles and controls are suitably large to allow easy adjustments without burning your hands. Highly recommended.

Steve

We've had F101's in our hire stock for several years now and they are good solid fixtures, only problem I ever recall having was one of the lock off knobs on the yoke breaking but that was due to a muppet over tightening it with an AJ!

Only thing I personally don't like about them is I'm not a fan of how the barndoors attach, but that's my personal preference they seem to work ok anyway!

F201s...lanterns that are small in depth

Not sure I'd put those two in the same sentence. 545 x 400 x 510 mm (the F101 is 340 x 340 x 420 mm). If you're struggling to fit 743s in the space, you certainly won't fit F201s.

F201s...lanterns that are small in depth

Not sure I'd put those two in the same sentence. 545 x 400 x 510 mm (the F101 is 340 x 340 x 420 mm). If you're struggling to fit 743s in the space, you certainly won't fit F201s.

It's a little long winded to explain. here goes, the lx bars are a good metre from the Mesh. My predecessor had hung scaff bars below these on g clamps so that the light could catch under all the space's steel girders(there are a lot of them). Problem with this is that it brings the lantern quite close to the mesh. the back bar however is a little easier to rig upon and would be the only place I would usually use the 2ks. unless I get the odd mask/puppet show in.... then I'd install a temp below mesh f.o.h. bar.

Actually the 743's aren't too bad depending on where you rig them. but my cantata PC's are near impossible to use on the scaff bars.

truth is, the college has a little money coming to it and I want to upgrade to some good solid fresnels, preferably some that fit the venue "better".

Thx all for all your opinions regarding this matter. I now have a sales rep bringing a few samples to me next week. (so I will checkout all the above probs).

cheers

I'll second the above comments, really. I have quite a bit of personal experience of the F201s - they're nice units, very bright, well-built. Heavy, but not to the point of excess. Work very nicely in partnership with 12" scrollers, too. The standard barndoors are big - which is generally a good thing, but not if you're trying to fit the unit into a shallow space! I don't know what the situation is regarding 'third-party' barndoors to fit these units - someone like Thomas might make a set with slightly smaller leaves. Might be worth looking into if it's an issue for you.

Just wondering if anyone has used any of the ADB fresnels?. I'm looking to make an order and wanna be sure of any probs with them.

If you want to borrow a unit or two to try out, then do let me know, as we are the UK dealers. If you are in Liverpool, then it would be worth speaking to Flashlight in Manchester.

HTH, Richard

Just thought I'd clear this up,

ADB actually make the CCT minuette for CCT at their factory in France. And in asnwer to the original question ADB don't make bad lanterns OR dimmers and unlike some manufacturers you'll be able to get spares for years. I just recently purchased 8 12/30 warp units for my venue and have since decided that I'll never buy a source four again.

If you've got the budget then buy them, they're well built (which is why they weigh more than cheaper units), good quality and they last forever (unlike the 10 year old teatro rubbish that's falling to bits around me at the moment).

You don't say which ones. I've used 500W F51 Eurospots (CCT Minuette derivatives) in a small venue and have generally been happy with them. However I've just bought a batch of C51 PCs for a Village Hall and most of them are a newer variation which no longer has any retention for the colour-frame/barn-doors. Also the front plate is pop-rivetted instead of screwed which means that the lens probably won't be removable for cleaning without drilling out the rivets. Signs of nasty cost-cutting at ADB that you may want to watch out for. However they were a clearance bargain so I can't grumble!

David

ADB actually make the CCT minuette for CCT at their factory in France.
Are you sure about that? I thought that they were made in Nottingham - telephone conversations with CCT about spare parts have always seemed to confirm that assumption.

David

Archived