Behringer LC2412 problem

DavidLee

Hi folks

I've just bought a Behringer LC2412 lighting console for an impoverished Village Hall company that really couldn't afford anything more expensive.

I'm having problems with unwanted channels coming up at low level along with scenes stored in B preset memories. The supplier (Blue Aran) have agreed to exchange the desk but I'm a bit concerned that it may be a firmware bug so I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen a similar problem.

When a memory from Preset B is activated using either a B channel fader or flash button then all channels programmed into ANY and EVERY memory in the same bank, at a level greater than about 20% on the fader, also are activated at a low level. This occurs even if the selected memory has all channels programmed at zero. The unwanted channels remain activated even when all channel faders are returned to zero and are not cancelled when the console is powered off or reset. Unwanted channels are cancelled when a memory is activated from a different bank (when the same thing occurs with all channels programmed into memories in that bank) or Preset mode is selected. The unwanted channels are not copied if another memory is programmed whilst they are active (using the ALL button) nor do they appear if the memories are used in a chase. It sounds very much like a firmware problem to me.

With the Hall's Showtec Multidim dimmer packs the unwanted channel levels are unacceptably high. However, the effect on stage varies with dimmer model and seems to depend upon how much pre-heat the dimmer manufacturer has built in. For example, with a Betapack the unwanted channels glow fairly dimly and a Botex dimmer doesn't show any problem on stage provided preheat is set to minimum. Thus it's possible that even if this is a generic problem it may have been overlooked by Behringer during product testing.

I'm not keen on sending the unit back only to find that a replacement will behave in exactly the same way, particularly since there are apparently delays in obtaining these items at the moment and the company need the desk in about three weeks, so any information from other users will be very gratefully received.

Software version is displayed as 01.06.01 and the display indicates a date of 2003.

Many thanks

David

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David,

I also have one of these units, and have not seen your symptoms. If you can send me (via PM - probably best to keep it off the forum) exact details on how to replicate your problem, I'll try. Make it a simple example, I've only got a 4 channel Soundlab dimmer available at the moment!

My unit is also running 1.06.01 - I upgraded it about a year ago.

have you contacted Behringer tech support? I've had to contact them with tech queries twice. Once they were spectacularly good and helpful. On the other occasion they were as bad as they had been good the other time!

Bruce.

David,

This is an amazing co-incidence. I have had one of these (pretty awful) desks for a couple of years now - I use it as my backup desk or for smaller events. My desk, being older, has the v1.0.0 software so when I heard that there was a new v1.6.1 version available I thought that I'd give it a try. I got a friend to burn me the required Eprom and we tried installing it just this evening! Desk booted up ok and displayed the V1.06.01 (2003) info on the display. I was only testing using a single LED par can but I got a very similar result - works ok on the presets but as soon as you program and recall a memory, you get low level output everywhere (which looks interesting on an LED par). I found that bringing the memory master to zero (B) removed the output and the reset also cleared the problem albeit temporarily.

So I have reverted back to my old v1.0.0 Eprom which appears to be working fine (well at least consistently).

I have just emailed Behringer to see if they have any advice. I did think that it was something to do with my hardware being old or perhaps the Eprom that my friend burnt was not exactly the right type but he is pretty sure it's OK and your post gives me confidence that this is the case. If I get a response from Behringer I'll post it unless someone beats me to it with a resolution.

Andrew.

Andrew, that's very interesting.

You've almost got me interested enough to wander out to the garage and try it! But not quite :D

Maybe tomorrow.

But since two completely independent people have observed the problem, it looks like it's real...

I'd suggest that it may be worth logging a second call with Behringer, pointing this out.

This is an amazing co-incidence...

Thanks for the info Andrew. It tends to confirm my suspicions too. I have emailed a description to Behringer as well so we'll have to wait and see what responses we get.

David

David - did you log it via their online support site? I found that was the best way to get prompt results. ("Yes, no problem, here's the eprom code? can you burn it? No? OK, we'll stick a chip in the post....no charge")

David - did you log it via their online support site
Yes - did that and logged a detailed description with Blue Aran so Behringer will probably get it twice! Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this problem as I don't want to start playing postal tennis with identically faulty consoles!

Thanks for your replies

David

There's a chap called Andy Cullen, a.cullen@behringer.de, who works for behringer customer support and regularly posts to newsgroups and forums such as this. It might be worth dropping him an email, and giving him the URL of this thread....

Software version is displayed as 01.06.01 and the display indicates a date of 2003.

Many thanks

David

Not sure of firmware version on mine, haven`t ha any similar problems before but will have check when round at workshop later and report back and confirm firmware version.

I know this doesn't help anyone....but I've seen this problem with three different LC2412.

One desk was my own (used at home, for domestic LED's) no help from Behringer, so I got rid of it. One was in a club (it died after about a year of being 'flashed' by visiting LD's - they replaced it with a spare 2412 - also with the same problem), I actually gave up telling them it had a fault. And the third was on test bench - most useful!

Regards,

Andy

I acquired one on eBay at the weekend and am learning how to use it, with a ShowTec LED PAR64. I've just tried using the memory faders and see exactly the same problem as others have described. I'm disappointed!

- Stuart

Archived