4 channel breakout (bulgin or other)

amillar

Hi,

I did a search on bulgin but didn't come up with an answer for this one so apologies if this has been covered before.

I know that socapex is the standard but if using a bulgin (or similar multipin connector with shared neutrals) breakout (or is it breakin?) at the dimmer end, what is the view of the blue roomers on this? Picture below for an example 4 IEC plugs to a bulgin (top left image).

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/9044639.jpg

The IEC plugs don't seem particularly touch proof to me and what if you want to connect into a dimmer with 15a outlets (I mean with even less touch prrof plugs!)?

Assuming that this is really not the way to go, are there any alternative safe options to go for without going to the expense of socapex? Something that will support at least 4 ways of dimming.

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew.

8 pole bulgin connectors, as used on Disco equipment, are only rated at 6A. Obviously if 4 lines are put down an 8 pin connector, you can only have 2 conductors on each line (ie no earth).

If you need to connect up 4x 6A, double insulated fittings which are all on one phase, then Bulgin connectors are obviously suitable.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the connectors being touchproof, if you're referring to the old method of all panel mount connectors being female and all cable mount connectors being male with Bulgins, then you'll be glad to know that this practice is now forbidden.

I note what you say about Bulgin being less expensive than Socapex- this is solely because it is a much lower specification. You get what you pay for (usually).

Edit:

Sorry I just read what you said about shared neutrals, obviously this limits even further what you can put down the connectors - 4 channels of just 3A (but with an earth). Electrically speaking there shouldn't be any problem with shared neutrals. For something like 4x 500W cans on a stand, a Bulgin connector would be suitable.

I can't understand what you mean about IEC's not being touchproof.

I can't understand what you mean about IEC's not being touchproof.

Thanks - sorry I'm not making myself crystal clear. I was just using the bulgin plug for an example (as I had the picture) - I would probably use an 8pin Elvcon or Cliff connectors which are rated at 10a. My question is around the IEC plug - if the neutrals are being shared then surely an unplugged IEC plug could be live if power is being supplied to one of the other circuits? My fingers are not the biggest in the world but have no problem touching the pins on an IEC plug.

hope this is clearer

Thanks,

Andrew.

My question is around the IEC plug - if the neutrals are being shared then surely an unplugged IEC plug could be live if power is being supplied to one of the other circuits?

Correct, which makes the assemblies you show technically illegal.

The leads in the picture you show are:

4xIEC plug to Bulgin Socket

Bulgin plug to 4xIEC Socket

use with the now standard Bulgin Plug to Bulgin Socket extensions and you have a perfectly safe lead, 4 IEC plugs to 4 IEC sockets. It's been said enough times around here that any plug to plug lead is a highly stupid thing to do.

you're perhaps missing the point.

Look at the 4xIEC plug to bulgin. On it's own.

A bulgin has 8 poles. 4x IECs have (in total) 12 poles. The only way to make this work is to common the neutrals and earths. Which is what everyone using bulgins does.... I've got several of these lying in a box in the garage....

So what we effectively have is a 4-way plug-to-plug lead, but only the neutrals and earths are connected to each other. It's not a "real" widowmaker, but since the neutrals carry current, it's technically a "live" conductor. A neutral shock can still be nasty.

Bruce.

So what we effectively have is a 4-way plug-to-plug lead, but only the neutrals and earths are connected to each other. It's not a "real" widowmaker, but since the neutrals carry current, it's technically a "live" conductor. A neutral shock can still be nasty.

Bruce.

Bruce/Brian - you have understood my point exactly. Strange that this is being sold I thought?

So for my other question - is there any "safe" more cost effective alternative to Socapex for breaking in/out using dimmers with 15A connectors that will support 4 circuits or more?

Thanks.

Andrew.

Archived