Remote Mouse

ojc123

Hey all,

While I am sure that the range of my clickers will work, I now use a usb to lan adapter, and use a run of cat 5 to the presentation computer, I prefer to get the transmit distance down to as little as possible where I can as I think its safer.

The usb to lan converter is great but not really all that cheap, but as I do lots of presentation work, I can justify the cost!

there are some usb to usb adapters that run over cat 5 that I would have bought in place of the unit I have now, but they were out of stock and I was in a rush, they are great as they are transparent to the usb signal, the only thing with the usb to lan is that you have to run the software in the back ground of the pc, to receive the data from the bridge.

(I use the logitech R-RB5 and an older clicker / mouse by them as well, and never had any problems with them)

Mk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem up until 2 years ago when I made the below, all it is, is a canford box with the bord of a Microsoft mouse inside, remove the left click button and and connect in its place pins 2 and 3 of the 3 XLR's , the click end is just an XLR and a button, hint: leave more that enough wire between the XLR and the button it will get twisted when you close it up.

my unit has been tested over 1KM of microphone cable (linking end to end all 20 way of a 50m muilty)

it can be send down audio cables to/from stage.and allows for extra clickers just using y cables

I also have a foot pedel ,

enjoy

ian

http://www.newimage.co.uk/click/click2.jpg

http://www.newimage.co.uk/click/click1.jpg

... is a canford box with the bord of a Microsoft mouse inside

That is such a nasty hack but boy does it look the part in that very professional looking box :P

A good and very simple solution.

Do you run it through the multicore with audio, and if so do you get any clicks?

I am a great fan of dismatling mice for different applications. I have also made a Power Point clicker from an old mouse and have not yet found a multicore it did not work down.

I like the way you have embedded the button in the XLR connector. I put it in another box but that also gave me a back button. Any idea how you could get both the forward and the back buttons in the XLR connector?

I just hope animal rights do not get on to us for abusing mice!

I made my Mk 1 model this afternoon, to be used on a "Death by Powerpoint" lecture this evening. I used a Canford "switch mounted in an XLR" that I had in the gash box.

I'm looking at cutting a slot into another shell and sliding an (on) off (on) toggle switch into it. I'll keep you posted.

I like the way you have embedded the button in the XLR connector. I put it in another box but that also gave me a back button. Any idea how you could get both the forward and the back buttons in the XLR connector?

I just hope animal rights do not get on to us for abusing mice!

how did you do the back using a mouse?

• 2 weeks later...

My first post on this forum!

I look after all the A/V for lots of lectures and presentations within the medical fraternity, and my remote of choice is currently the Interlink Versapoint Presenter VP4300.

It's fairly well featured, sits nicely in the hand, and has the ubiquitous 100'/30m range over 2.4Ghz RF.

Perhaps not the greatest if constant mouse pointer control is what you need it for, as the central 'nipple' (like that on a laptop) takes a bit of getting used to for those that havn't seen it before. However, if straightforward powerpoints are the order of the day, it's very easy and intuitive. The laser pointer also packs quite a punch - very, very noticable on-screen even with my ProjectionDesign F3 at full whack and with house lights at 50.

After quite a lot of web searching to find the best price, I bought mine here:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119808

Then, after some of my collegues had had a play, I bought another two - one as a backup just in case, the other for a different meeting room.

Previously used the Gyromouse (still have it), but found surgeons and doctors had a really hard time getting to grips with it (makes you worry slightly...!)

Ben

The usb to lan converter is great but not really all that cheap, but as I do lots of presentation work, I can justify the cost!

I never heard of one of those (but trunking usb though a network makes perfect sense) who makes your unit?

I tried googling but most results are from the adapters that allow you to attach to a network via USB rather than trunk USB through a network.

Hi,

I use the Anywhere USB as listed in the Google search,

Really happy with it, its never fallen over, though the install of it can be a little weird, normal procedure, but just quite a few components to install.

I bought my box through a company called Amplicon, based in Bournemouth I think, they make lots of industrial converter boxes and the like, and I have spoken to them about making a USB 2 version. (this version is backwards compatible, but does not support usb 2 speeds.

Hope that helps, any more info that you want PM me,

Mk

Archived