Remote Mouse

ojc123

I've searched but can't find anything.

I work in a hall 15m x 15m x 5m. There is a projector at the front. The PC which it is connected to is at the back. All is well with the system except for the remote mouse.

At present we have a Targus Wireless Remote Presenter (paum35e) Mouse.

It works sometimes. It is,however, unreliable in this situation. I've tried moving the receiver and I've tried moving the presenter's position. It isn't 100% reliable. It seems to work perfectly if the hall is empty but when it is filled with people it becomes less reliable. Its limit is 10m so the guy who specified it was being hopelessly optimistic in the first place.

Basically, I'm looking for something that will do the same job but over a larger range (say 25m to put it well within range.)

Have you some suggestions / recommendations? Thank you in advance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be a little expensive, but we use something like this (our exact one is quite old and I don't think is made anymore; this is the new version of it), which works very well.

The best thing about it is that it has some clever gyro technology so you can just wave it around in the air instead of using it on a surface. We use it from 30m away, and it's fine (although you do have to hold it up in the air sometimes if the hall is full of people).

For presentation type stuff you might want to look at this one, as it has more presentation orientated features, with special function buttons and the like.

HTH

One thing to remember, you can go quite a distance with USB before you need to amplify the signal. You could easily buy a long USB cable and place the receiver in a much closer possition (ie behind the presenter at the front of the venue). It would be a hell of a lot cheaper too.

MC

... you can go quite a distance with USB before you need to amplify the signal.

The spec says 5 metres. And it's theoretically limited by timing issues rather than attenuation.

So while a device may work with a longer cable, that's by luck rather than design. I wouldn't rely on it.

Bruce.

reference: http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#cab1 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB .

The spec says 5 metres. And it's theoretically limited by timing issues rather than attenuation.

So while a device may work with a longer cable, that's by luck rather than design. I wouldn't rely on it.

Bruce.

reference: http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#cab1 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB .

Thank you for that. I had considered the USB extension option but I wondered about the long cable. I had only considered the extra resistance though. I wondered why the longest USB cable I could find was 3m. Thought there would be a reason.

I will have a look at the Gyro Remote.

Further suggestions welcome.

Absolutely. But you can have up to five hubs in series, so you can go 25m with USB with ordinary by using five hubs in a line. The spec says that hubs cant power hubs, so there may be power issues, but it may well work.

You can now purchase USB to Cat5 converters, which claim to go further than 25m, but I have no personal experience, so no recommendations.

Try a :P for usb cat5.

You can now purchase USB to Cat5 converters, which claim to go further than 25m, but I have no personal experience, so no recommendations.

Try a :P for usb cat5.

Found one here. Looks promising.

Thanks again. The problem with this stuff is knowing what to search for.

Absolutely. But you can have up to five hubs in series, so you can go 25m with USB with ordinary by using five hubs in a line. The spec says that hubs cant power hubs, so there may be power issues, but it may well work.

True, but not exactly practical :P Indeed [pedant] 5 hubs would give a 30m span[/pedant] .

Or just use your phone!

Certainly from the (for example) Sony Ericsson K700i onwards, they have come with a remote Bluetooth feature.

I currently have a K750i and it works fine when a similar event occurs.

Or just use your phone!

Certainly from the (for example) Sony Ericsson K700i onwards, they have come with a remote Bluetooth feature.

I currently have a K750i and it works fine when a similar event occurs.

My Nokia 3310 won't work I suppose? :blink:

Thanks for all these suggestions.

Archived