Adaptor Hire

Guest mattladkinlx

Guest mattladkinlx

Hi there,

I am looking to use a LCD projector for a forthcoming show I am involved in (I am a student lighting designer so do not have much experience with video projection). The only problem is that (for some unknown reason!) the projector does not have a VGA input, instead it has BNC, composite RCA and S Video. I need to use my VGA output on my laptop to run a presentation so what I am asking is

1. Can I hire an adaptor from VGA to any of the above (or all!)

2. How much is it?

3. Where can I hire it from?

Any advice greatfully welcome,

Thanks

Matt Ladkin

Hey Matt

I know it no actually what your asking... but you can get a VGA to BNC for £20 in maplins.... Just thought it could be a bit better then Hiring.

Ben

Must be quicker next time

As the others have said, if it is a higher end machine it will have the 5 BNCs. BUT I'd be surprised if a machine with RGBHV BNC input didn't have a D-Sub VGA style input.

If it has a DVI input this may well be capable of accepting a VGA input on the analogue inputs.

It might be worth doing a Google on the machines specs to see if the other features are worth using (Brightness..). If not then it might be worth hiring a different machine.

If you need to use the machine and it has no Data input, then a scan convertor should cost about £25/day ex VAT.

The majority of laptops have an S-Video (4-pin mini-DIN connector) output or a composite output, although some require a special cable to get these from an odd connector (usually mini-DIN with a strange number of pins).

Obviously this limits your resolution to PAL/NTSC standards (roughly 800x600), but it will work fine.

Otherwise, there are two options:

My best guess would be that the projector has five BNC connectors, with RGBHV labels. This is a way to send a VGA signal much further than a standard D-sub cable can manage, and suitable adapter cables are available from many suppliers.

If it's only got 3 BNC inputs, then it will be a version of component video, and I don't know what adapters exist.

Ouch. 900 quid might be a little out of his budget for one show :o

the google was only a guide to show what you should be looking at....I didnt expect you to buy one get one subed in from you local AV hire company....

If you need to use the machine and it has no Data input, then a scan convertor should cost about £25/day ex VAT.
Or alternatively you could buy a cheap scan convertor for the same amount (CPC do one on offer for about £30ish, here. I can't seem to find it with a normal search, so it may be they don't sell it any more, but the on offer one is still in stock. Probably best to ask them). :blink: Admitedly it won't be as sturdy and well built (plastic case and phono output, rather than metal and BNC) but it will probably do the job. I brought one years ago now second hand and it's had loads of use and is still going strong, well apart from the dodgy connection on the output, where I think someone put too much pressure in the wrong direction on it. Anyway its certainly something to consider.

Look at that 20pound one in maplins and see the quality before buying... I wouldn't expect too much from it, but it may be okay.

Professional gear is expensive for a reason... it's very good at what it does!!

But again if it won't get much (ab)use, then it will probably last okay, equally if you have the time to wait, then CPC or similar will probably do a cheaper one by post.

HTH

PN

Edit: Link added.

Or alternatively you could buy a cheap scan convertor for the same amount (CPC do one for about £30ish)

I looked on the CPC site and found this can any of those more familiar with tech specs tell me is this only a Video-VGA or will it do the opposite as well? I need an application to display a VGA signal to a normal TV. Cost is an issue. It would be ocassional / light usage.

Archived