Old Parcan Scanner from 1980

GIORGIO

I'm looking for a PAR CAN manufactured by Uptown Limited in the 80s. It was an accessory composed of a mirror and two working 0-10V motors. It could be mounted on a 64 PAR to create the XY movement of the light. In other words, it's a sort of scanner.

Could you please give me some indications to find such an working object?

Many thanks in advance.

Guest lightnix

It sounds to me like the old PANCAN. I can only find one mention of it in the Blue Room, in this old post by James, along with a link to somebody s/mad enough to still stock them.

I had the misfortune to use them three times back in the mid 80s, the last time I had to be forced :angry: I 'd given up with trying to do focus positions by then and just programmed a few chases into them, which worked (these were fashion shows BTW).

Dreadful things - belonged in a museum the moment they came out IMO. If you ever are unlucky enough to meet them, use parcans with double yokes, or take some extra safeties so than you can strap the PANCAN to the yoke or the bar, otherwise the weight will drag them towards the floor very rapidly, especially once they warm up.

It sounds to me like the old PANCAN. I can only find one mention of it in the Blue Room, in this old post by James, along with a link to somebody s/mad enough to still stock them.

As Nic says, they are heavy and drag the can down.

Point Source no longer list them as a current item in stock.

James

• 2 weeks later...

There are three sat gathering dust, where I used to work. ;)

They all work fine, Royal Northern College of Music borrowed them a few months back, to generate a lighthouse effect.

If you want one, just give Nic a bell on 0161 430 6570, tell him that I suggested you give him a call. I'm sure they won't want anything or if they do very little, I bet they will be glad to see the back of them.

Cheers,

Lee

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just found an old Pancan that I would like to try and maybe to use just for fun.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/david/Lights/DSC00444.jpg

I also have the controller:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/david/Lights/DSC00439.jpg

But I'm wondering what kind of power supply do I need for the mirror?

http://www.kolumbus.fi/david/Lights/DSC00447.jpg

The control on the XLR4 is coming from the controller, but the power supply seems to go on the XLR3. There are also 4 dipswitches, what kind of selection is it?

I've tried to find more informations about it, but no big success.

So, I tried with 12DC on the miror and it did reset. But with the controller it does not work. Somebody wrote that it can be controlled with 0-10V. Is it true, because I measured -14V/+14V out of the controller.

I'm still wondering what is the use of those dipswitches.

I've used something similar (possible different manufacturer) in the dim and distant past, I seem to remember having it 8-pin DIN in for direct analogue control. Can't remember whether it had a separate PSU or not. Only used them for one show about 12 years ago, so sorry can't be more help.

Hi

Gurdip Mahal a TV lighting designer uses these Par Can scanners a fair amount on Transmission.

I would guess he is getting them from Panalux (AFM) as they supply the show, maybe worth giving them a call.

Archived